Angle grinder wheel question

/ Angle grinder wheel question #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I did a quick search and didnt fully get my question answered about sharpening lawn mower and bush hog blades..

I have seen 'grinding' and 'cutting' wheels at different stores and also the 'flap discs' ...

Would i be better of using the grinding wheel or flap disc to sharpen the blades?
Are there different hardness of grinding wheels?
Would the flap disc not get the blade as hot?
What grit would you recommend for the flap discs? 36, 60, 100, 120??

I am just worried about taking too much metal off with my inexperience, so I am leaning toward the flap disc if that works OK..

thanks

Brian

/ Angle grinder wheel question #2  
I generally use an regular angle grinder on brush hog blades, have never used the flap discs. Don't hold it in one spot, keep it moving across and you should be ok. On lawnmower type blades I use a bench grinder and check the balance afterwards to keep vibration down. If I pull brushhog blades off and grind them, I weigh each one to keep the blade weights the same.

/ Angle grinder wheel question #3  
Flap blades do not work as good as a regular grinding wheel. They will take off metal but I found they are better for taking rust and paint off then for sharpening. Use a grinding wheel and keep it moving like chh said.

I really can't answer your question about the difference between the blades as I never worried about it. I get all my grinding wheels and flap disc for free. The local company that makes these wheels allows the employees to take some for some reason. My brother use to get them for me but he quit working there and now one of my hay customers constantly offers to get me more. I get 4.5" as well as large disc for my chop saw. They make great cutting wheels for metal and concrete and we use a lot of the concrete wheels for cutting flashing into brick chimneys.

They do make a lot of different wheels out there and I think most of them describe what the wheel is good for/designed for so just pick the best one and go for it. The only way to get good at grinding something is to try and if you are afraid of ruining the blade just grab a piece of metal of some thickness and practice on it. You want to make sure you hold the grinder at the same angle the entire time and not let it waver as you move side to side.

/ Angle grinder wheel question #4  
I use a 100 grit wheel on finish mower blades. I've not sharpened my bush hog blades but as they are pretty thick, I think I'd try a 36 or 60 grit wheel and see how it goes. They don't need to be as "sharp" as finish mower blades to do a good job.

Flap wheels are great for cleaning up my crappy welds though. I tell folks it's easy to get good looking welds if you've got a good grinder! :rolleyes:

/ Angle grinder wheel question #5  
I use the grinding wheel on the angle grinder to sharpen my blades. I've never weighed them to be sure they are identical because I've not taken them off the brush hog.
I think flapper wheels would not cut or grind nearly as good as you need to for sharpening the blades. I'd stick with the grinding wheel on it.

/ Angle grinder wheel question #6  
thatguy said:
I did a quick search and didnt fully get my question answered about sharpening lawn mower and bush hog blades..

I have seen 'grinding' and 'cutting' wheels at different stores and also the 'flap discs' ...

Would i be better of using the grinding wheel or flap disc to sharpen the blades?

I am just worried about taking too much metal off with my inexperience, so I am leaning toward the flap disc if that works OK..

thanks

Brian

I tried using the normal grinding wheel the first time I used my angle grinder. It bounced and gouged and overheated and left a very uneven finish. I then changed to a flap disc (60 or 80 grit, I can't remember) and wow, what a difference. You can easily control the grinder and get a beautiful and sharp edge. I'll never go back to anything else.

1.gif

I could never use a bench grinder to get a good edge. The blade always bounced if I tried to just take off a little bit of material or would end up eating away too much if I held it tight. I always elected to use a belt sander instead. It works good, just harder to maintain the same angle over the entire length of the cutting edge.

/ Angle grinder wheel question #7  
For brush mower blades, I like to use a grinding wheel, and just keep it mooving.. of course.. I don't 'sharpen' then.. just take the nicks out, and get it to about a 1/8" edge.

Now.. on a lawnmower blade I use a small stone that has a plastic guide on it to sharpen them. Chuck it into my drillpress and get a perfect angle every time.

Soundguy

/ Angle grinder wheel question #8  
thatguy said:

thanks

Brian

I will take a run at it, and tell you how I see it.

Normally the difference between Cutting and grinding wheels is their thickness. In a standard 4.5" wheel, a grinding wheel is usually about 1/4" thick, and a cutting wheel, made to go in edge wise and cut is usually 1/8" or so thick. There are several different grits available as well.

For me, being the impatient person that I am, I use grinding wheels to sharpen both my mower blades and when they come up Bushog blades.

As for useing a flap wheel, they do not remove material as agressively as a grinding wheel, so I tend not to use them except for very fine and smoothing type work, which I do not see the need for on mower or bush hog blades.

How I sharpen mower blades.

For background, My wife runs a lawncare business, we usually have two 60" ZTR mowers running. I usually sharpen commercial 1/4" blades, at least 6 and usually 12 at a time.

Wipe, or clean in some form excess grass from the blades prior to starting

For mower blades, I put them in a vise, holding near the ground part (cutting edge) of the blade, area to be sharpened pointed up.

I then take a standard 4.5" grinder, running a standard grinder wheel (I prefer the US made ones, slightly more expensive but worth it too me) My first cut is made flat, and I level and even out the leading edge of the blade. After the leading edge is flat and straight, I then turn the grinder on edge and cut the profile into the blade, I tend to start at the root, and work backwards too the tip. It will be easy to overheat the tip if you are not carefull. After doing a couple of blades you will develop the feel for how much pressure to apply and how quickly you need to move. I usually just continue copying the original manufacturers angle. You can play with increasing the angle to make them sharper, or decreasing the angle to make them hold the edge longer, but it will be a duller edge.

When I get close, I will make a quick "swipe" type pass on what is the bottom of the blade, to remove any burr and then I do my smooth finishing pass on the ground surface of the blades.

On mower blades, I bring them to a sharp cutting edge, but do not need it too be as fine as I would acheive with a flap wheel. IE I need it to be as sharp as a decent ax, not a razor blade.

On my mower blades, I balance them with a simple pyramid looking balancer. I have looked at going with the magna matic etc, but again, it is kind of the razor thing too me. After our blades spin about 3 minutes, that balance would show off again, so I just do not see the need to go that fine.

As to sharpening bush hog blades.

I have done a couple sets, but certainly do not consider myself an expert. My experience has been that by the time a bush hog comes to me to be worked on, they are just beat to death. Usually I have been taking off blades, welding stump jumpers, cutting out bolts etc, and prior to reassembly I will sharpen the blades.

I use my 9" grinder with a 7" wheel and leave the front 1-8" or so flat. My belief and understanding that those mowers tend to beat the plants into submission more then cutting them off smoothly like a finish mower. On the ones I have done, I weighed both blades and got them close, as I removed substantial material to remove dings, missing chunks etc. I use the same basic order to sharpen as I do the mower blades, but that is probably more from habit then from experience.

If I was doing my bush hog, I would probably just try and get under there with my 4.5 grinder and try and dress them without removing them. Then again, I am not worried about how sharp they are, I want them busting up the stumps etc that they hit. :D

Have fun, hope my description was clear enough.

/ Angle grinder wheel question #9  
Flap discs are all I use. 36 grit for heavy duty fast grinding and 60 or 80 grit for sharpening blades. It only takes a few minutes for me to sharpen a blade.