Advice on a truck

/ Advice on a truck #1  

Bob_Trevithick

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4300 MFWD
Our neighbor was given an old '87 GMC 1500 flat bed, and he wants to fix it up a little and sell it for $500. Our best guess is that the guy who gave it to him saw some rust on the rocker panels and assumed it was a goner.. but the frame seems fine. We really need a truck, and this one might be fine for us. Limited use.. just to pick up stuff like lumber and (cross my fingers) toys for the tractor.

It's a straight 6, with a three speed on the column (just like my old Ford Falcon /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif) and it seems to be fine except for a couple of things he's going to fix before we get it. It needs a new radiator and something for the ignition (it now takes two people to start it.. one to turn the key and pump the gas, the other to short out something beneath the hood.)

I trust this guy totally, and know that he is being honest about it.. to the extent of his knowledge of it.

Anyone familiar with this truck? Would it be likely to have specific problems? I don't know the mileage yet, but I assume it's way up there. I'll find out.

Any thoughts appreciated!

/ Advice on a truck #2  
Bob,

It's a $500 work truck that's nearly 15 year old - think of it that way. As long as you have a decent engine, good brakes, the clutch does not slip, the lights work, and you feel comfortable with it - go for it. One thing about a Chevy is that you will be able to find parts with no problem.

Terry

/ Advice on a truck #3  
Bob,

Are you sure it's a straight-6? Seems to me that Chevy came out with its 4.3 liter v-6 before '87.

I had a '78 250 ci in-line 6 with a 3 speed from 1987-1999. It was a great truck, but a little lacking in power (115 hp, I believe). Just shy of 200,000 miles on it when I sold it for $500. Motor started and ran easily. When it was newer it got 15-16 mpg, but in later years it was about 13. It never used oil, and was easy to work on. Body was rusted to heck, but the frame was rock solid. No chronicly defective parts that I remember, but it didn't have ac or even power steering. Wish I still had it.

Three speed column shifts have to be sycronized pretty well, or they will "lock up" when shifting between 3rd and 1st. Not often, just once every 6 months or so at the worst possible time. Prevention is best, and can be accomplished by cycling from 3rd to 2nd to 1st every time you stop. If you forget, the fix is easy. Just pop the hood and grab the linkage arm on the column and lift. WARNING: make sure you have the emergency brake on!

For $500, you can't go far wrong.

/ Advice on a truck #4  
If it's the 292 I-6 it will have plenty of power and should be reliable. Those engines were built to last an have lots of torque. I have a book at home that will tell what years they were offered, so I'll look tonight.

/ Advice on a truck
<font color=blue>...For $500, you can't go far wrong.</font color=blue>

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I've driven it around his farm a little, and everything seems to be okay. It's definately a straight-6, but I don't know anything else about the engine.

It shows 98,000 miles, but my friend thinks it has to be at least 198,000. Doesn't seem to use oil. Has a really nice wooden bed that someone built very ruggedly.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone!

Oh, what does the "1500" mean? Is that a 3/4 ton capacity?

/ Advice on a truck #6  
Bob, it's going to depend what kind of mechanic you are...
When he starts it, he's probably shorting the starter...might be a bad starter motor. Rebuilt starter should cost $50-$100.

If it runs OK otherwise, might be a good farm truck...do you have to have it inspected to license it? Or can a farm vehicle go without an inspection? If you do have to get it inspected, do you think it'll pass without much work?

BTW, the 4.3 liter V6 was in the smaller Blazer in '87...replaced the 2.8 engine, I believe.
The full sized vehicles used a big straight 6...I think they were around 262 cid. Long lasting engines, though...

/ Advice on a truck #7  
My guess is that they are jumping across the solenoid under the hood, cheap and somewhat easy fix I had to do it to mine. The 1500 series trucks are 1/2 ton.

/ Advice on a truck
Hi Roy,

<font color=blue>...When he starts it, he's probably shorting the starter...might be a bad starter motor. Rebuilt starter should cost $50-$100.</font color=blue>

He said he would do all of the ignition work, with a buddy of his.. so none of that expense should fall on me.

<font color=blue>If it runs OK otherwise, might be a good farm truck...do you have to have it inspected to license it? Or can a farm vehicle go without an inspection? If you do have to get it inspected, do you think it'll pass without much work?</font color=blue>

I know he was planning to put it on the road this Spring, but really needed money for something on his house. I'm pretty sure he checked (and had others check) that it would pass inspection. He's the most honest person I've ever met, and knows we want it for on the road. When I drove it, everything felt okay, brakes worked fine, tires look good, etc..

Thanks for the help!

/ Advice on a truck
<font color=blue>... I have a book at home that will tell what years they were offered, so I'll look tonight.</font color=blue>

Thanks, Danny!

/ Advice on a truck #10  
Bob,

Once you buy it, I would definitely have it checked out by another source. Just because... never hurts to have another opinion - especially if you plan on using it on the open road.

Terry