true price of in floor heating?

/ true price of in floor heating? #1  

rtdiggr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1433v
Is there any one with the true price of in floor heating> i will be doing alittle over 1500sq, i know i would need a boiler, alot of tubing insulation under concrete.
I heard i could be over $15000 any ideas?

Shane

/ true price of in floor heating? #2  
I have no idea of the cost as it was in the basement floor of my house when I got it. I have a 6 element electric furnace. The elements come on progresively and when they are all on the furnace draws about 150 amps! You want to make sure tht your water doesnot get too hot or it will crack the concrete. But it sure is nice having a warm basement floor. You estimate of the cost may be about right.

/ true price of in floor heating? #3  
Shane-
You really need to break the pricing apart. For instance you will need a boiler even if you go with baseboard heat. And some radiant suppliers recommend using a hot water heater (same as one used for domestic hot water). With regular boilers you run the risk of the pex picking up oxygen and causing the boiler to rust out. There is pex designed with a barrier to keep the air out of the system. If you try to install it yourself warm day is the best. I helped my brother with two of his friends on a day when it was 20 degrees out the pex was like steel. On that day we were installing under the second floor. I believe my brother spend an additional 3k+ for radiant above what it would have cost for baseboard- that's for materials he was a plumber for 8 years before he decided to make more money and went into teaching. Better hours too! -Ed

/ true price of in floor heating?
Thanks for the info guys. The price was a real shock to me. i guess i will be using the radiate tube heat.

Shane

/ true price of in floor heating? #5  
I've been looking at radiant heat myself. I think the 15K seems pretty high. In our area the infloor tubing is about $0.35 a foot with the lines running ever foot. Your infloor tubing would be likely $150. I do not have a price yet on the boiler but I would anticipate $3K. I would anticipate more like $5,000 for the job. The cost is still much higher than an overhead heater but the heat is much more comfortable.

/ true price of in floor heating? #6  
I put a radiant system in my house, designed (with help), and installed myself. It's a pretty simple and economical system. I used a Bock oil fired hot water heater, no need for a boiler,why heat water to 160 or higher, trust me there is no need to heat it that high, I have water temp set at 105. I used a purchased manifold assy and regular pex. I have 2 zones and use regular Taco 005 pumps. 2 loops of pex in each joist bay with heat transfer plates and plenty of insulation in the joist bay. Cost 5 years ago less than 6000 for 2500 sq ft.

/ true price of in floor heating?
i think the one source of the in floor just sends the info to a large company and they send the "package deal" back. It doesn't seem broken down for price comparison.
Like i say the garage is alittle over 1500sf i was thinking around $5000.

thanks Shane

/ true price of in floor heating? #8  
I have a question. My house is 3500 sq ft. and is on pillars with a very well sealed crawl space about 3 -4 feet high underneath. We have oak floors throughout and some pretty massive oak and redwood framing underneath. Up top too. This house was built in the 50's to have the roof removed, house flipped on it's side and moved from town to town as a traveling church. It's way too big to move these days with all the permits required for it.

Anyway, can underfloor heat be put under a floor that is a crawl space? We don't have heat right now because we have an underground leak from the propane tank out back that supplies the two furnaces in the attic. I was planning to put in a really big heat pump package unit where the swamp cooler is right now in the spring and we are making due with the wood stove for this winter. Sure is cold in the mornings though!

If under floor heat can be made to work here though I can just do a AC package unit instead of a heat pump. It's cheaper too. We already have two very large hot water heaters. I could switch one over to heating coils possibly.

/ true price of in floor heating? #9  
I got all of the materials locally, you can spend ALOT with a complex system and thats ok. Or it can be simple and still do the same thing, just depends on what you need I guess. 1500sq ft shouldn't cost 15,000, someone wants a vacation,,,, the contractor.

/ true price of in floor heating? #10  
WTA, sure I don't see why not, if you can access the space between the joists, and can insulate and rodent proof the bays should be able to pull it off.