Any muzzle loader suggestions?

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions? #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I know some (a lot?) of you muzzleload hunt.. Share your wisdom with me..

I am starting to research muzzleloaders and looking for any input you care to share.. Based on some articles I found online I am leaningn toward the Knight or Thompson Center brands (reliabliity, dependability, safety, design)...

I really like the TC encores that have the stock that drops down, but really dont see me switching barrels on it.. The other models I like have the thumbhole stocks.. I am very much leaning toward stainless steel and a composite stock..

thanks

Brian

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions? #2  
I have a Encore SS love it, I also have a 223 SS barrel. Good stuff but you can almost buy a new rifle for price of barrels. You can buy whatever you want with out a FFL once you have the receiver, pretty cool to get barrels for another caliber through the mail.

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions? #3  
I have the Encore as well. I like the rifle very much, but as Bill said, they are pricey. I bought my brother the least expensive Omega for Christmas several years ago. It shoots as well as my Encore, cost about half as much, and does the job. If you don't plan on switching barrels, I'd look at the Omega or the new Triumph.
Will

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions? #4  
thatguy said:
I know some (a lot?) of you muzzleload hunt.. Share your wisdom with me..

I am starting to research muzzleloaders and looking for any input you care to share.. Based on some articles I found online I am leaningn toward the Knight or Thompson Center brands (reliabliity, dependability, safety, design)...

I really like the TC encores that have the stock that drops down, but really dont see me switching barrels on it.. The other models I like have the thumbhole stocks.. I am very much leaning toward stainless steel and a composite stock..

thanks

Brian

I have owned both thompson and knight, my favorite is a knight wolverine, short barrel and inexpensive muzzle loader. never missed a deer with it or had a misfire, I used the large musket caps. both of these brands are top notch, so you cannot go wrong with either, knight has been very good to me when I needed spares such as fiber optic sights etc. good personalized service, and I know Thompson center is just as good. all the best

Ray from Rhode Island (carman605)

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions?
Is there much of a difference between the Triumph and Omega, except for cosmetics?

What about the difference between the X7 and Z5? The x7 seems to have a laminated stock, shorter barrel, a peep sight, and an advertised 1 lb less weight..

Brian

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions? #6  
I have shot black powder for years(35 or so). Although I have not shot the newer "modernized" guns, I have shot a lot, a whole lot, through a couple Thompson Center Hawkens. The current one has a few thousand rounds through it. My Dad and my Uncles TC Hawkens have to have had thousands of rounds through them. For a single shot rifle, that's a lot of shooting.

I would get a TC any day.

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions? #7  
My brother, son and I all have TC Hawkins in 45 cal that we deer hunt with. TC warrantied a trigger piece on mine that I had not tightened enough and lost. They also warrantied my brothers barrel after 20 years.

Looks great over the fireplace too.

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions? #8  
I have the TC Omega. If you plan to use it for black powder only, you can't beat it. It shoots as well as my brothers Encore and costs about half as much.

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions? #9  
I shoot TC Omega and I am quite happy with it. It was not my choice - I won it in NRA lottery 30 guns in 30 days:)

One thing I had to adjust to or deal with was the difference shooting it freshly cleaned and dirty. From the second round on it is pretty consistent, but the first one is always 1 - 2" above the group (@50 yards)
After shooting it with different sabbots and bullets, I decided to carry it dirty. In our hunting grounds - North Virginia forests - it does not really mater, because the longest shot I could ever take was 75 yards.

/ Any muzzle loader suggestions? #10  
I have never been drawn to the modern muzzelloaders. It just seems to loose some of it's charm for me when put into a modern package. But it will get you into the muzzelloader season, so to each his own. I have always liked the feel of wood and brass and my thumb cocking an exposed hammer. I do think they look nicer over a fireplace:)

"Muzzle loader suggestions"? Keep your powder dry.