Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: WalMart Shoplifting

Don't know about other states but in SC here is one of the shoplifting statutes about concealing merchandise-

SECTION 16-13-120. Shoplifting; presumptions from concealment of unpurchased goods.

It is permissible to infer that any person wilfully concealing unpurchased goods or merchandise of any store or other mercantile establishment either on the premises or outside the premises of the store has concealed the article with the intention of converting it to his own use without paying the purchase price thereof within the meaning of Section 16-13-110. It is also permissible to infer that the finding of the unpurchased goods or merchandise concealed upon the person or among the belongings of the person is evidence of wilful concealment. If the person conceals or causes to be concealed the unpurchased goods or merchandise upon the person or among the belongings of another, it is also permissible to infer that the person so concealing such goods wilfully concealed them with the intention of converting them to his own use without paying the purchase price thereof within the meaning of Section 16-13-110.

So I would guess if one ate food before paying for it in a "store" then one is guilty of shoplifting. It is concealed in ones stomach right One can't produce it in its original form and claim you were going to pay for it, and it was concealed

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Pooooh, that don't apply to us that eat and pay for it, we do not conceal the bag etc.
    Do ya remember the song by "the Dave Clark Five" ?
    catch us if ya can

Jim
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Elite Member
    Tractor
    1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.

Went to a K-Mart in Southren Ca. years ago... Toy section looked like a day care center... racks were terrible... never saw a store trashed like this before... Store was just north of the the Mex border...

mark
    red tractor
    blue tractor
    green tractor
    orange tractor
    too many impliments to list

Mark, several years ago Dallas had a K-Mart close and they said the reason was just too much shoplifting. Of course, since then, all the K-Marts in this area have closed up.
    Bird

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

That might apply to an apple or other article of food that had no packaging.. however inthe case of a soda, or bag of chips.. the empy container setting in the shopping cart amongst the other items IMHO should be construed as you are intending to pay for it.

soundguy

Quote Originally Posted by Skyco
    Don't know about other states but in SC here is one of the shoplifting statutes about concealing merchandise-

SECTION 16-13-120. Shoplifting; presumptions from concealment of unpurchased goods.

It is permissible to infer that any person wilfully concealing unpurchased goods or merchandise of any store or other mercantile establishment either on the premises or outside the premises of the store has concealed the article with the intention of converting it to his own use without paying the purchase price thereof within the meaning of Section 16-13-110. It is also permissible to infer that the finding of the unpurchased goods or merchandise concealed upon the person or among the belongings of the person is evidence of wilful concealment. If the person conceals or causes to be concealed the unpurchased goods or merchandise upon the person or among the belongings of another, it is also permissible to infer that the person so concealing such goods wilfully concealed them with the intention of converting them to his own use without paying the purchase price thereof within the meaning of Section 16-13-110.

So I would guess if one ate food before paying for it in a "store" then one is guilty of shoplifting. It is concealed in ones stomach right One can't produce it in its original form and claim you were going to pay for it, and it was concealed

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy
    That might apply to an apple or other article of food that had no packaging.. however inthe case of a soda, or bag of chips.. the empy container setting in the shopping cart amongst the other items IMHO should be construed as you are intending to pay for it.

soundguy
    I agree. I do this all the time. When I go to the super Wallymart grocery/misc. shopping with my wife, "I ain't going anywhere for a while", so I grab a snickers and a mountain dew. I place the wrapper/container in the toddler section of the cart and pay for them at checkout. I've never had an associate/cashier get on to me yet.

Oh and I can neither confirm, nor deny that I took a grape or two from the produce section in the past, prior to purchase to test the quality...

Guess I'm a hardened criminal.

Podunk

Katrinaville LA west of Westwego east of Ama south of River Ridge north of Boutte, above sea level
    Tractor
    Yanmar 1802, Kubota L4400

I was standing behind a lady in line at a Wal-Mart, who took a candy bar off the shelf and ate it while waiting in line. She "accidentally" dropped the wrapper on the ground right before she was checked out.

As the cashier was finishing checking her out, I reached over and picked up the wrapper and said "Ma'am, you accidentally dropped this".

She turned red and added it to her purchases.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho8
    I was standing behind a lady in line at a Wal-Mart, who took a candy bar off the shelf and ate it while waiting in line. She "accidentally" dropped the wrapper on the ground right before she was checked out.

As the cashier was finishing checking her out, I reached over and picked up the wrapper and said "Ma'am, you accidentally dropped this".

She turned red and added it to her purchases.
    Tallyho8- GOOD For YOU! Shoplifters means higher prices for the rest of us!
    1 Goldini Tractor & 1 Articulated Staub Tractor
    1,362 Olive Trees, 125 Almond Trees. Proud producer of Premium Extra Virgin French Olive Oil - Mas Des Bories.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Anyone here accidentally shop lifted?

I'll start.

Many years ago I was shopping at publix.. had all my items in the cart, and had a 2-litre soda on the lower under-rack.. paid for my items, and got out to my truck... while loading my groceries i saw that soda i had forgot about. Quite embarrissed I walked back in with it to the customer service desk.. On my way to the desk the manager walked by and asked if i had a problem with the product. Trying to hide the embarrisment I said i had accidentally stole it and was headed back in to pay for it. He laughed and sent me right back out... I know it was a sub 1$ item.. but it was the principle of the matter...

soundguy

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy
    Anyone here accidentally shop lifted?
    I don't remember accidentally shoplifting, but I always am in a quandry over what to do with small items that will just fall through the basket to the floor. Do I put them in my pocket temporarily? I don't think so...I know I'd forget and get busted at the register. So, I'll hold them in my hand until I get something in the cart I can put them on or inside. Somebody needs to invent a cart with a little solid bucket or pocket for little stuff like this. It would keep folks like me honest.
    Jim

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast