Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull #1  

chh

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 596 , MF 4243, MF 1433V, D4H, D3C
Well I've always wanted a big bore revolver and have always longed for a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Mag. Somehow another toy always pops up about the time I'm ready to buy one though;) , that"s how I ended up with 2 nice 22-250's. Anyway was up at OKC at H&H gun range and rented a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag to try out. I was going to try the 460 but at nearly $3 a shot vs less than $1 a shot for the 44 mag, well the cheap side of me one out. I was really impressed with the Redhawk's performance and have been a fan of Rugers for years. Out of all the ones that I've had I still have a Single Six in 22/22mag(nearly new) and a 10/22 rifle I've owned for at least 20 years. While shopping around after shooting the salesman showed me a Taurus. It seemed like a very nice gun and was about $200 cheaper than a Redhawk. Not as large framed as the Redhawk either it seemed. Any of you handgunners ever spend much time shooting a Taurus? We had finished shooting and I didn't think to ask if they had a Taurus to try out to compare them.

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull #2  
I have several Taurus model 85s in various configurations for carry, but that is a short 38 special. Also one Taurus 22 revolver w/4 or 5" barrel that is an impressive shooter. That said, I used to shoot 44 magnum (12-15 years ago) a LOT. Most of it through an early Redhawk. I reloaded, and I shot some ammo that was so hot the smith I used suggested letting him look the gun over after every box (which I did). It was very accurate, digested very, very hot loads (as in well over recommended levels) well, and I couldn't compliment that particular firearm enough. I am one of those who thinks Taurus makes a good product, but for the 44 I'd have to opt for the Ruger.

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull #3  
I have a Super Redhawk with 7.5" bbl in 44 mag I really like. I like the grip alot better than the old Redhawk I had. Those things will digest the hottest ammo around with no ill affects other than a sore hand. Put some of those hot, hot Remingtons in and shoot at night, a real crowd pleaser.

John

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull #4  
I would skip both and get a 44 Desert Eagle. I've shot Redhawks and 629's. I like 629's better, but the Desert Eagle takes the cake. I had one for some time, and have buddies with them. They are tack drivers... Very accurate, and nice to shoot. If you got a 44Mag, it would be a barrel upgrade to go to .50AE too.

The only thing about the Eagles, they are more expensive.

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull #5  
Sorry, no experience with the Tarus, but lots with the Redhawk. You will be hard pressed to beat a Redhawk for durability and useability. As mentioned it will digest handloads that will most likley damage other pistols. Not that this is a good idea, but people make mistakes.

I have had a Redhawk with the scope dovetails and a 2X leopold scope for 20 years now(first brand new gun I ever purchased) and it has always been one of the most versatile pistols I have shot. Scope on, I have hunted with it and a pie plate at 100 yards is easy offhand shooting. I have shot combat courses with it using lightweight 44 special loads and wadcutters(shoots like a .22). With full jacket bullets, it is great for silouette both scoped and open sight out to 200 yards. And I make up some 328GR cast round nosed loads(bear loads) that loaded to capacity make my hand scream for mercy, but deliver an obnoxious ammount of energy. I have added Pachmyer wraparounds and a Brownells spring kit(lightest spring) and polished the internals and pins. It is still my favorite handgun...

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull #6  
RobertN said:
I would skip both and get a 44 Desert Eagle. I've shot Redhawks and 629's. I like 629's better, but the Desert Eagle takes the cake. I had one for some time, and have buddies with them. They are tack drivers... Very accurate, and nice to shoot. If you got a 44Mag, it would be a barrel upgrade to go to .50AE too.

The only thing about the Eagles, they are more expensive.
That 50 cal DE is more of a novelty item than anything. Way too big and clumsy for me. Besides, I think they were looking at revolvers instead of an auto pistol. A friend of mine had a 50 DE in that gold trim, somekind of anniversary model I think. 50 Cent would be proud of it.:)

John

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull #7  
NewToy said:
That 50 cal DE is more of a novelty item than anything. Way too big and clumsy for me. Besides, I think they were looking at revolvers instead of an auto pistol. A friend of mine had a 50 DE in that gold trim, somekind of anniversary model I think. 50 Cent would be proud of it.:)

John

Yes, they were talking revolvers. Again, I persoanlly prefer a 629 for ergonomics, and I have found them to be very smooth out of the box. although I do not own one, I have friends who do, and have shot them a number of times.

IF you lined a Redhawk, a 629, and a Desert Eagle up, I would go fo the DE first. they handle very nice. they are tack drivers. Recoil is milder than a revolver due to the gas operation. Mine handled hot loads wonderfully, and again, was a tack driver at 100 yards and 100metres, even though it had stock iron sights and 6" barrel.

I also like it because of size; I have largish hands(wear xxl motorcycle gloves. The DE fit me.

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull
I saw one of the Gold DE's at the gun shop. A little pricey on that one. I may give a DE a look(not a gold one!) the next time I'm out looking. I also have very large hands and liked the way the Super Redhawk handled and shot. The Taurus got a look because it is cheaper and a pretty nice looking rig. It may be bucking a stacked deck though. I forgot to mention I also own 1 more Ruger. My CC gun, a P89DC. Still wish I hadn't traded that last Ruger 22 semi auto. It was a sweet little shooter, but a different toy was calling.:eek:

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull #9  
I shot my buddys DE .50 AE and that thing was a handful, good thing that slide scrubs off some recoil. My first shot was always my best as I found myself flinching after the near compression fracture of the wrist I suffered.:) I imagine that ammo is a bit pricey as well, although I have never priced it.
I had an old 29 Smith with a 4" bbl years ago, never had the pleasure of handling the stainless "6" series. God Bless America. Not too many countries in the world where you can play with this kind of firepower just because you feel like it. Now I need a Barrett 50 cal semi auto rifle as soon as I can convince the wife how badly we NEED it.:) Those things are completely insane!

John

/ Ruger Redhawk vs. Taurus Raging Bull
When I rented the 44 mag a box of 25 460's was $68. I didn't ask about the 500's but they had to have been at least that much. $3 a shot is a little rich for me, but I'm not sure how many rounds I would want to shoot at a time anyway.;)
Newtoy, your as bad as my BIL, he is convinced I "need" a 50 bmg rifle. Notice I need it, not him. I tell him my 22-250's do just fine. A handload pushing 4000 fps is big coyote medicine.:D