multi use knifes/tools

/ multi use knifes/tools #1  

alan40

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH1720, .
Looking for another Leatherman/Gerber multi tool/knife. Lost my Leatherman after having it for about 12 years. I carried it everywere and used it for everything from cutting to putting in taps. Went to the website and holy cow have they updated. They have some skelaton frames that look interesting. I was just wondering how they hold up. I'm leaning torward the Wave from Leatherman just because of the solid frame. Also the Chrunch looked interesting with the locking pliers. Just wondering how they would hold up. Anyone have a favorite out there?

/ multi use knifes/tools #2  
I have carried my Wave for the last eight years. I use it for everything from opening my mail to pruning trees to skinning deer. You can't go wrong with the wave.

Solo

/ multi use knifes/tools #3  
Have at least 6, personal favorite is by Schrade, but I think they quit making or marketing it several years ago. A touch bigger than some, but the pliers are a very real tool as a result.

/ multi use knifes/tools #4  
alan40 said:
Looking for another Leatherman/Gerber multi tool/knife. Lost my Leatherman after having it for about 12 years. I carried it everywere and used it for everything from cutting to putting in taps. Went to the website and holy cow have they updated. They have some skelaton frames that look interesting. I was just wondering how they hold up. I'm leaning torward the Wave from Leatherman just because of the solid frame. Also the Chrunch looked interesting with the locking pliers. Just wondering how they would hold up. Anyone have a favorite out there?

Afternoon Alan,
Some of our volunteer firemen swear by the leatherman, in a burning building melted wires that sag down and catch the airpacks on their back need to be cut to free them from a tangled mess, and that tool does just that ! Very handy ! Sorry I dont have any real constructive input other than that ! ;)

/ multi use knifes/tools #5  
Alan,
I have an original leatherman and a Wave. The Wave is 8 years old. I wear it every day. I have lots of fancy instruments in the labs at work. I use the wave half a dozen times a day to tinker or work on them. It is just as helpful at home.

The original leatherman was a brilliant concept but had some design flaws. To use the needle nose pliers you hold onto the thin edges of the handle. Hard to get a good grip when your worried about lacerating your palm.

My original as relegated to the glove box of my truck once I got the wave. All of the blades are on the outside of the handle - to access one is just like opening a pen knife. As opposed to the original wher you need to open the whole unit to get to a blade. The Wave also has rounded edges so gripping the pliers is no longer an issue.

I would highly recommend the wave. I feel naked if I don't have it on me. I think it has been updated and takes different driver bits.

Phil

/ multi use knifes/tools #6  
I have a leathermak with the older semi-needlenose.. circa 2001, as well as a micra with the scissor blades. I love both of them and use them ALOT.

soundguy

/ multi use knifes/tools #7  
   / multi use knifes/tools
Thanks for all the inputs. The Wave seems to be winning. Of course if I didn't tell the wife I found my leatherman under the cleaning rags I could get a new one. Of course I wouldn't sleep well at night and she would know anyways. How they do that is a mystery to me. Well off to see a couple of puppies on Sat. One of my buddies girlfriend had a black lab female that found a male Bernise Mountain Dog and bingo!! Puppies!!! We have a Golden that's getting long in the tooth. Bless her heart. My littlest boy 6 is my dog sidekick and wants one of his own. So here we go again!
Take care and thanks for all the inputs

/ multi use knifes/tools #9  
I started out carrying a Schrade multi-tool and got hooked on them. My son gave me a Victorinox that I carry everyday now. It's a very well made tool, a little heavy but I wouold be lost without it. I do mechanical maintenance work and probably use this tool 15-30 everyday.

/ multi use knifes/tools #10  
tommu56 said:
alan40

I had the leatherman mini and couldent get one when it went missing and got the Gerber Multi-Plier 600 Basic Needlenose

Gerber Multi-Plier 600 Basic Needlenose w/Sheath - #07530 : Gerber Multi-Tools - at Rocky National

After a while i got use to flicking my wrist and it slides out arady to use the pliers it is bigger than a mini but I stil carry it in my pocket with my 4" adjustable

tom

I have had a gerber multi-plier for years, and I like it for that very reason, I can open the pliars with one hand and a little flick of the wrist.