Particle Board Repair

/ Particle Board Repair #1  

bmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
Got a problem I'm hoping has an easy solution.

I have a ping pong table that consists of an aluminum frame support and the playing surface is 3/4" particle board. If you look at the attached photo, you will see an angled support member that originates right above the wheels and extends to the underside of the playing surface. This support is attached to the underside of the particle board via a bracket that is attached to the particle board with 4 screws.

During a transportation mishap, one of these brackets was ripped off the particle board and in at least one location this produced a large (maybe dime sized) "divot". Due to the size of the defect, I can't just fill the screw hole and re-tap the screw and I can't just use a larger sized screw in the existing holes.

With that background info, is anyone aware of an epoxy resin or other product that will mechanically bond to the defect in the particle board which can then be drilled in order to accept a screw that can hold this bracket in place?

Any ideas whatsoever would be appreciated.

Attachments

• T8651.jpg
    T8651.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,421
   / Particle Board Repair #2  
I hate to say this but you answered your question, get an epoxy repair kit from your local hardware store and just fix it and re-do another hole and make sure you grind away the bad board off for good solid adhesion

:)

/ Particle Board Repair #4  
Afternoon Bmac,
I would suggest a two part epoxy, fill in the damaged section, allow to cure one day and then grind flush and re drill and tap hole again for the leg !

/ Particle Board Repair #5  
JB Weld. Next to duct tape and super glue, the closest thing to a fix-all there is.

/ Particle Board Repair #6  
Particle board is particle board. :mad: :mad: :mad: Replace it with some good fir plywood. Problem solved. :D :D

/ Particle Board Repair #7  
I see a two part solution.

Part one is to re-attach the support that came off. The particle board is pretty weak around the damaged area, so doing anything to it won't make the damaged area any stronger. I would get a piece of sheet metal that's several inches bigger then the damaged area.

Screw the sheet metal into the particle boards undamaged areas with wood screws. I'm thinking two screws per side for a total of 8 screws. For added strength, you might use a glue rated for metal to wood. Then use sheet metal screws to attach the bracket to the sheet metal.

To fill the holes and low areas, I like to use an automotive product called Bondo. It's used to fill areas in a car's body before painting it. It's impervous to water, wont rot and paints beautifuly. I use it allot on houses when there is rot on non structural areas. Typically, the bottom of garaged door casing and mouldings.

Mix the Bondo and fill the holes. Wait to dry and sand smooth. You will probably have to do several layers to get it perfect, but it's easy to work with and it drys quickly.

Eddie

/ Particle Board Repair #8  
Here's my suggestion. Get a Fostner Bit larger than the damaged area. In case you're not familiar with them, Fostner bits drill clean holes with flat bottoms. If you're careful they can also drill with no center point. Drill a hole centered on the damaged area, but not through to the other side, maybe 1/2" deep. Fashion a wood plug from oak or other strong wood to fit the drilled hole. Glue the plug in place with good wood glue or epoxy. When cured, sand flush and drill for the screws.

/ Particle Board Repair #9  
I would just mix up some bondo and fill the divot the drill some new screw holes, problem solved. Next? later, Nat

/ Particle Board Repair #10  
I think the surest way would be to follow Eddie Walker's suggestion.