Truck time

/ Truck time #1  

AndyR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030HSTC, Farmall SuperC
Getting to be time to buy a new truck/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif (especially after getting spousal approval) and I have a few questions. I have been reading through the "first truck for a tractor man" thread, though this would be my 3rd. At this point, am looking at the Chevy Silverado 2500HD (favorite) , the GMC Sierra 2500 HD or the Ford F250 SD. Can't help but like the diesels - though they sure don't give them away. I am looking at the Duramax/Allison combo on the GMC products and am not likely to tweak things much. Pulling requirements are my L3700HST w/Backhoe and a future travel/5th wheel trailer(great spousal interest there). I figure I need at least 8000 Lbs. capacity for either of those and the only reasons I am looking at diesel are fuel efficiency and longevity. Of course, being able to pull 15000 lbs is a nice bonus.

OK, so without (hopefully) igniting any truck wars what say you all about factory rigs? Also, (newbie question here) how usefull is the locking rear differential?

/ Truck time #2  
I have a 99 ford f250 Super Duty..nice rig, no complaints except filling the gas tank...

/ Truck time #3  
I looked at getting the DuraMax, and thought it was one awesome machine, built for pulling. At first, I wasn't impressed with the looks, but after seeing them on the road, they are sharp. Instead I bought the 2002 TrailBlazer, and am VERY pleased with it. Its 270HP and comfort factors are just what I was looking for. But it is not the pulling dude that the DuraMax is. Good luck on your decision.

/ Truck time #4  
Andy,
I along with ejb have a '99 F250 Super Duty 4X4. Mine is a V-10 gas, and the gas stations need to be close together. I get 11 MPH empty, loaded, towing, city, highway, doesn't matter. I think I read a post about pulling shrubs somewhere on TBN, hhmmmmm, now I got an idea /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
By the way, super pleased with this truck

/ Truck time #5  
<font color=blue>Can't help but like the diesels...</font color=blue>

You and me both. But like you said - $$$$. The diesel option on the Ford F250 is 6000$ CDN. A friend of mine just bought an F250 (not sure what year), 4WD, manual trans, with 120 000 Km (75000 miles) for 14 000 Canadian. Wish I had seen it first.

Just my personal preference, but I would stick to a stick when it comes to tow vehicles.

/ Truck time #6  
I just talked myself out of a Chevy 2500hd crewcab diesel. They just ended a $2500 rebate incentive for gm employees which my father-in-law is. Along with employee discount, rebate, sales tax, GM credit card points, and a break even trade in total was $36,000 for a $44,500 sticker truck.

My thought was to sell my old ford 1 ton and 20 ft trailer and by a 24' fifth wheel with dovetail for moving the tractor on occasion.

My wife and I just didn't want the extra payment right now.

One thing I learned of is the Allison transmissions have shift points that need reprogramming if a other than stock tire size is used and dealers are getting picky about doing so, dont know why.

/ Truck time #7  
Andy,
I have 2000 F350 XLT SRW 4x4 v-10 Crew cab. I love it. Also has Draw tite 10000 lb weight carrying hitch. I pull an 1845 SS on a 20' Bobcat trailer (just under 10000 pounds)and have no problems. When I pull my L3000dt and ATV on that trailer you hardly know it is there. Great truck. Marty

/ Truck time #8  
AndyR,

If you search through TBN, especially in the Rural area you will see
lots of discussions on Trucks.

For Fords, get a case of beer, sitdown on Friday night, point your
browser to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ford-diesel.com>http://www.ford-diesel.com</A>. You might get a pass
through the whole website by Monday morning! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I know there is a GM as well as a Dodge website.

If you are going to be towing I think the Towing section on the
Ford website is required reading especially about GVW and trailer
weight.

At least for the Fords and I doubt its any different on the other
brands, when you are in a 250/2500 truck it is very easy to run
out of GVW before you hit your towing capacity of the truck.
I have a F350 CrewCab single rear wheel that has a GVW of
9,900 pounds. The scales at the quarry tell me that with my
usuall stuff in the truck and a full tank of diesel I weigh 7,700
pounds. So I can put 2,200 pounds in the truck and be at my
limit. I think the GVW of the F250 is 8,800 pounds and I dont
think its going to weigh much less that my 7,700 pounds. So
the F250 would only be able to haul 1,100 pounds.

Ford says that the F250/350's can tow about 20,000 pounds of GVCW,
truck and trailer weight. The rule of thumb I have heard is that
the tongue weight is 10-15% of the trailer weight. So if you had
a trailer that weighed 11,000 pounds you would almost certainly
be over the GVW of the truck but within the GCVW.

If this makes you head hurt, and it did for me the first few times
I read all this, go read Smokey's comments in the towing section
on the Ford site. This question is answered all the time.

If you are going to be towing a travel trailer/5th wheel. You REALLY
need to read the towing section. There is a great deal of discussion
on GVW/GCVW as well as F250 vs F350 and single rear wheel vs duallys.

The towing section may save you from buying the wrong truck.

Also look for references to EAA to find out about XPlan pricing. Some
companies and organizations are able to buy vehicles from Ford and GM
at special prices. These prices are about 5% about Ford employee price
but still about 1.5% below invoice pricing. Its a no haggle deal. You get
a number for the XPlan and that is that. No dealing. Most rebates from Ford
also apply so you can get lower prices depending on the vehicle. You might
be able to do better without XPlan on vehicles that are not selling but I don't
think that applies to trucks with Diesels. The best deal I could get without the
XPlan was a couple of hundred dollars above invoice. With XPlan I was about
1.5% under invoice.

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

/ Truck time #9  
If you are thinking about the Duramax Diesel you might want to go to www.mrtruck.net web site. It has a review of it and also describes some problems with the aluminum heads. The site is a little cluttered but search around and you will find it.
I have a 2001 2500HD 4x4 GMC, 8.1L engine. We regularyly tow a horse trailer, about 6000# with no problem. It does however drink about 1qt of oil every 3000 miles.
MPG - 14 highway,
10 City
10 towing highway

Don't break a head light on these things, they have to replace the whole unit, $300....

I have only notices 1 problem, I hear a grinding noise from the front end after the engine is warmed up when accelerating at around 40 to 50 mph. Taking it into the dealer next week to have it looked at.

Currently at 1 yr old, and 22,000 miles.

Larry

/ Truck time #10  
P.S.

The Allyson transmission is sweet. When towing in Tow/Haul mode, you can take you foot off the gas, as it slows you can feel it down shift (same feeling as if you are in a standard and you downshift with the RPMs still high). It really helps on the breaking and slowing the vehicle down.