22 rifles

/ 22 rifles #1  

mjarrels

Elite Member
Tractor
1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.
I'm looking for a new .22 rifle... I have a old remmington that shoots great and just gave my son my old .22 browning BR22 (nice gun with a gold trigger).. I have been looking at some golden boy .22's and I like their looks. Really don't want to spend over about $300.00 bucks or so. In this economy groundhogs, possums, rabbits, etc with a side order of didionlion salad sounds good... Maybe a nice bottle of didionlion wine on the side?

mark

/ 22 rifles #2  
Yes I like the looks of the henry too , but haven't shot one , but I have shot marlin 22's and they have a nice action and they are pretty accurate , at least the ones I have shot . You should be able to find a nice used one for the money you want to spend . Happy hunting .

/ 22 rifles #3  
Take a look at the Ruger 10/22!!

I've had mine for 30 years and it's still my favorite rifle to shoot.

For the money, I don't think you can beat it. Magazine holds ten rounds and is loaded from the bottom. None of that tube loading. You can get all sorts of after market goodies for it. Things like custom stocks, pistol grips, barrels, triggers and of course, larger magazines.

Take a look in the Cabelas catalog if you're curious about what's out there, or just do a google search.

Tough to beat Ruger quality for a very fair price.

Another fun shooter is the Ruger semi auto .22 pistol. When I have people over and they have never shot anything before, that pistol is always everyones favorite.

Eddie

/ 22 rifles #5  
EddieWalker said:
Take a look at the Ruger 10/22!!

I've had mine for 30 years and it's still my favorite rifle to shoot.

For the money, I don't think you can beat it. Magazine holds ten rounds and is loaded from the bottom. None of that tube loading. You can get all sorts of after market goodies for it. Things like custom stocks, pistol grips, barrels, triggers and of course, larger magazines.

Take a look in the Cabelas catalog if you're curious about what's out there, or just do a google search.

Tough to beat Ruger quality for a very fair price.

Eddie
Hey, you beat me to it by a minute! :)

I have a 50 shot clip for mine. Lots of plinking power. :D

/ 22 rifles
I have a .22 ruger handgun... must have shot 10,000 rounds thru it and to this day never cleaned... could probably shoot another 10,000 rounds. Just like a nice looking rifle with some bells and whisles.

mark

/ 22 rifles #7  
Henrys are pretty sweet and have a really smooth lever action. I've read their customer service is great too, but no personal experience to report.
I sold my Henry to buy a Marlin 39. Just got a deal on the Marlin I couldn't pass up.

Anyway, my Henry, an H001, cost about $170 new and was a great plinker.

/ 22 rifles #8  
My one gun a year purchase was done just last week. It was a Ruger 10/22, 20" barrel with the fiber optic sights (my dad really likes those sights and I'm starting to enjoy them more as I get older myself). Absolutely love the gun.

Also found out that that gun in particular is no longer being made by Ruger, so I consider myself lucky that I found it.

Got it at Gander Mountain which surprised me becuase normally they seem to be smoking the wacky weed when it comes to gun prices, but got it for $195. Best price I could find in the carbine model with the same sights was $219 so didn't think I did too bad.

/ 22 rifles #10  
mjarrels said:
I'm looking for a new .22 rifle...

I like my 10-22. It's fun to shoot, and is a Bicentennial model too(1976).

My favorite though, is my Dad's Mossberg 142-A bolt action 22lr with peep sites; he got it when he was a kid in the late 1940's. It's had about a bazzilion rounds through it over the years, and is still a tack driver.

A buddy of mine has a Rossi 22lr pump he got about 25 years ago. It is a ton of fun to shoot, and is pretty accurate too.

If I were to get a new 22lr, I'd probably go with a pump, or a bolt gun. Either an older Mossberg target bolt gun, or a new Remington.