Robin Generator - No power

/ Robin Generator - No power #31  
RonMar said:
A good electroincs engineer with a way to make an educated guess at the other components on the board might be able to tell you what that damaged part is. t...

Yep.. a schematic, even if it did not list part numbers would be helpfull, as it will at least ID what the component is and does for the circuit. then guestimates can be made from there.

soundguy

/ Robin Generator - No power #32  
alchemysa said:
I just meant that many shops don't seem to have much time for people who want to fix old stuff like this. It wasn't a comment about the helpful folks on this list.

That's for sure. i remember when you could walk into a genny/starter shop and just ask to buy the brushes and bushings for yuor gen..walk out with 8$ of parts and rebuild it youurself. now you are lucky if you can find a rebuilder at all.. and if you do.. all he wants to do is rebuild.. not sell parts.. except maybee a VR.. etc.

soundguy

/ Robin Generator - No power #33  
I could tell right of fthat the part of the package with the number was long gone. Also.. I'll bet that coating was there as more of a 'information control' technique, vs the little vibration glue many manufacturers use. may also have been a weatherproofer.. etc... Works good as all three.. etc.

soundguy

Iron Horse said:
Thats why i asked him if he could see a partial number so i could match it up with the listings in the book i have . alchemysa// What condition is the printed circuit in ? Will you be able to de-solder the old pins and re-solder the new transistor pins back on ? If they are burnt , scratched etc it's probably futile , i have bridged broken tracks before with solder or fine wire but the board needs to be really clean . That vibration preventitive the board is coated with looks pretty thick and challenging .

/ Robin Generator - No power #35  
alchemysa said:
I was originally told it was 'Waibin' generator but I dont think thats correct. I can't find any info at all about 'Waibin'.

(Copy of Hitach logo attached)

Could Waibin be Elmer Fudd saying Robin?:D

/ Robin Generator - No power #36  
Soundguy said:
Also.. I'll bet that coating was there as more of a 'information control' technique, vs the little vibration glue many manufacturers use. may also have been a weatherproofer.. etc... Works good as all three.. etc.

soundguy

That is what is known as conformal coating, it is to protect the PCB assembly from environmental hazards.

/ Robin Generator - No power
Skyco said:
Could Waibin be Elmer Fudd saying Robin?:D

You could be wite! ... but he writes with an impediment too. Some previous owner had written WAIBIN on the gen case. It was assumed this was the actual manufacturer of the gen thats attached to the Robin engine. Its a wed herring I think.

/ Robin Generator - No power #38  
I think you will find the "B" is a "K" and reads "Waikin" , give it a Google , you may find them . Ive attached a page from my parts cattle dog , if you can read it .

/ Robin Generator - No power
Well I take back what I said about experts not having time for us little guys.
I found out that Australia's 'voltage regulator guru' works in my own home town. I took my board into him and he identified the part immediately. Its an MCR8SN Silicon Controlled Rectifier. He even wanted to give it to me for free. (He at least let me put a few bucks in the charity sweets box). He was happy to see me trying to get the old Robin going again. He's fixed a few himself. He took quite some time explaining a few details. I thought that was pretty cool for a guy who works on custom built $50,000 generators and could have tried to sell me his own special $140 replacement circuit board.
Heres the address..Genaust Power & Water Pty Ltd - Control Modules

Anyway I got the part, soldered it in, reconnected everything and fired it up.
Beautiful! I'm a happy man.. a 2000 watt generator for less than $50.. and I know nothing about electronics! And thanks for everone's interest.

Attachments

• MCR8SN.jpg
    MCR8SN.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 144
  • datasheet.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 152
   / Robin Generator - No power #40  
Good deal... an SCR..

soundguy