Robin Generator - No power

/ Robin Generator - No power #1  

alchemysa

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B1550HSD
Hello all. I picked up this Robin 2KVA / 240volt Generator for $50. The Robin 4 stroke engine starts and runs quite well but its not providing any electricity. (I was told before purchase that it didn't work). I think it has a 'Waikin' generator but I can't find any info on that brand.

How can I test this thing to see if its repairable? First step I guess is to see if the gen is producing any raw juice. The generator has four wires running from the 'dynamo' (is that what its called?) to the control box. Red, black, white and green. Other than getting one of the kids to stick his tongue on these wires how do a test to see if they are 'live'.

Step two I suppose is to see if the control box is usable. Pic 2 shows the inside of the control box (upside down). Apart from dust and cobwebs its pretty tidy except for the obvious burnt or broken part on the circuit board thats encased in plastic. Does anyone know what that bit does and whether it can be repaired? (Or does the whole board need replacing).

This is a bit of a 'project'. I won't be shattered if I cant fix it but I'd love to get it working again. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• RobinGen1.jpg
    RobinGen1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 229
  • RobinGen2.jpg
    RobinGen2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 195
   / Robin Generator - No power #2  
Sounds like you should be out buying a meter for testing first off.:D

/ Robin Generator - No power
Egon said:
Sounds like you should be out buying a meter for testing first off.:D

Egon. I've got a multimeter but I dont know what I'm supposed to do with it in this instance.

/ Robin Generator - No power #4  
Just try the voltmeter on any 2 wires, red & black, red & white, etc. The red and black are usually the 2 110 volt wires and the white a neutral and the green a ground but they may be different in that generator. If you get 220 volts on any 2 wires, then it is working and those are the hot wires.

/ Robin Generator - No power #5  
alchemysa

Has it been sitting long?
If so find the wires to the slip rings and brush holder on the armature (actually rotating field)

See if the rings and brushes are making contact are making by un hooking the wires to the brush holder and Ohm between brushes.
It should be low less than 100 ohms if higher clean the oxidizaion off the slip rings and check the brushes to see if they are worn.
After that is ok

Hook a new wire each wire going to each brush holder I run them out through cooling hole away from the rotating parts. Reassemble every thing
put your meter on dc volts at a high range start engine up and see if there is any voltage there. if not hook one up to - on 12v battery and then tap (that is touch it only for a second or so) to the + post.

Then check to see if its giving you an out put.

Leave wires there just tape or wire nut them up for future use.

tommu

/ Robin Generator - No power #6  
If, like me, you really do not know where to hook up the testing equipment it might be better to let a good shop evaluate the whole thing!:D :D :D

/ Robin Generator - No power #9  
Flashing the field probably won't do much good with that burnt component on the regulator board. There is only those 4 wires between generator housing and box? I would have expected 5 or 6(two hots, neutral and maybe a ground, as well as the 2 leadsto feed the field winding). That burnt board is most likley the voltage regulator. It takes a little of the generated power and sends it back to the rotating field via the aformentioned brushes or a separate induction coil. The amount sent back, controls the amount of voltage generated. IF that part is smoked, you might have a hard time finding just what that part is to replace, and what caused it to fail also. And as voltage regulators go, it would probably cost as much for that regulator board, if you can find it, as for a newer replacement generator...

Good Luck

/ Robin Generator - No power #10  
I agree with Ron. Sorry, didn't look at the pics or read the post thoroughly. Flashing probably wont help. I have a perfectly "good" gas powered ac-dc welding machine that has a circuit board fried like that. They want 1000 bucks for a new board. Makes you sorry you bought it in the first place.