Work Boot Info/Opinions

/ Work Boot Info/Opinions #1  

Jarrett

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT
I'll be buying some work boots in the next couple months. I've never had any real work boots, only some Dr. Martens (non-industrial) that I've used as work boots. The big problem I have is I wear a size 15 (tennis shoes). The biggest size boot I've found (so far) is 14 and they're just too small. I haven't really looked hard yet, only a couple local places. I'm undecided on getting something lace-up or slip-on. If I go lace-up, I'm pretty sure I want the 8"-9". What do you like/dislike about either one? I absolutely love my Dr. Martens, so I figured I'd like a pair of their industrial boots. Unfortunately, it looks like the biggest size they have is 13uk (14 US). I stopped at a local store today that sells Justin, Wolverine, Georgia, Red Wing, Dr. Martens Industrial and a couple others. They said the only brand they had in my size was Georgia Boots. Anyone like/dislike them? I'm more than likely going with steel toe. I don't need the steel toe, but I think I'd like to have them just in case my clumsy self drops something heavy. I'll mainly be using them on weekends doing yard work, tractor work, etc.

/ Work Boot Info/Opinions #3  
coveshoe.com they are in my backyard basially. they have some outlets around. I need 14ee and prefer a western work boot and they have my size and stock 15's in most everything they make. Their website has a locator.

Brad

/ Work Boot Info/Opinions #4  
Boot sizes vary, and for a given # are usually roomier than the same # in an athletic shoe. I have Red Wing work boots and am happy with them. They make larger sizes in some models, I would ask the store if any can be ordered. I especially like Red Wing because most of their products are still made in the USA (it was ALL until just a few years ago, sigh) and you get some nice service including free cleaning and laces for the life of the boots. Also, in my limited personal experience their dealers are better than the average shoe store.

Red Wing Shoes

I don't know of anything wrong with any brand you list. Another option would be US Army combat boots, the 80's through late 90's style, made by several companies including Altama. I find they fit great and are made in any possible size, including unbelievably huge. I would look at the websites of Altama and Belleville Shoe Company (I'm not sure if Belleville still makes the style I'm referring to, though).

I would not get steel toed boots. They are often very uncomfortable. They DO make sense if you are working in an industrial environment like a machine shop, underground mining, etc. I do not wear any for tractoring and have never missed them. But I suppose if you are extremely clumsy they might make sense.

/ Work Boot Info/Opinions #5  
I wear size 18EEE. The only boots I can find around here is by ordering them through a redwing dealer.

John

/ Work Boot Info/Opinions #6  
What ever brand you get, I highly recommend you do not buy a lace up work boot. It is too easy to get the laces caught on, or in something; either tripping you, or possibly pulling you into a piece of machinery.

/ Work Boot Info/Opinions #7  
I love my Wolverine Durashocks- best boot I've ever worn! Ditto on the steel toe -unless you have a serious exposure to heavy drop hazard (BTW if too heavy the steel toe will crush and cut off your toes) Steel toes are great for wearing out ya socks!:D -Ed

/ Work Boot Info/Opinions #8  
QUOTE "BTW if too heavy the steel toe will crush and cut off your toes"
that is a old wives tail !!!
show me one were that happened.

Iv'e been wearing safety toes or 30+ years I had the same issues with holes in sox.

I asked red wing dealer along time ago and he said thet foot shouldent hit front of the toe box and most of the time shoes were tied tight enough to keep foot from sliping around in shoe so I tried tying them tighter and that almost eliminated holes in toes.

Also try the composite toe shoes and they are usually lighter too.

tommu56

/ Work Boot Info/Opinions #9  
I don't mind steel toes in work boots. They last long after the leather on the toe has worn out!

I also prefer lace ups as stuff doesn't fall down into them.:D

Posted before but for the new fellows.:D Them are Redwings.

Attachments

• shoes.JPG
    shoes.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 579
   / Work Boot Info/Opinions #10  
I wear US Army desert boots year around. They are perfect for Virginia.