Gulp - daughter with new licence does first solo.

/ Gulp - daughter with new licence does first solo. #11  
Terry,

I can sympathize too, as I've been there. My daughter was a little different though. She really didn't care if she got her license when she turned 16. I think she probably figured that her mother and I would be sending her out to do all the errands. Of course, that all changed when our son got his license! Talk about insurance increases!!/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Be glad shes not a he! /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ Gulp - daughter with new licence does first solo.
Yes - I agree. However, the insurance companies are beginning to change their tune. I have heard of some instances where the rates a pretty close to those of the teenage boys. I guess it depends on the area you live and, of course, the driving record.

Here in Md, the new driver gets a provisional license. If they get any moving violation tickets within the first 18 months of receiving their license, they begin the 18 month provisional upon receiving the ticket. I believe if they receive 3 moving violations, they lose their license and have to start from the beginning. And I believe the waiting time is one year. Pretty stiff consequences, but a good idea. Makes them a little more responsible.

Terry

/ Gulp - daughter with new licence does first solo. #13  
<font color=blue>"Pretty stiff consequences, but a good idea. Makes them a little more responsible."</font color=blue>

Boy, could I have used that when my son got his license! Within the first month, he got tagged for driving with no headlights, running a stop sign, and speeding. I can't really complain too much, though. He paid the fines, and more importantly learned his lesson. I think he was 1 point away from losing his license, so he was VERY careful from that point on. He's 22 now, and he won't even consider buying a red car, because the Police watch for red cars with young guys in them /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif! At least that's what he thinks, anyway.

/ Gulp - daughter with new licence does first solo. #14  
Terry,
Do you got any finger nails left /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Glad to here it went good. Its been almost a year for us /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif and still biting nails when the phone rings. As far as insurance ours only went up $370.00 per year. The way everyone was telling me at work I thought I was going to have to take out a home equity loan /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif but thank goodness that wasnt the case.

Devildog,

Still have fingernails.... /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

You have to worry, but not like it take over your life. She's a pretty responsible kid but there are times.... /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Ours went up ~$400, so that is not too bad. However, we also have a bunch of newer vehicles so most of the increases are due to the new toys, errrr, vehicles for mom and dad!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Terry

/ Gulp - daughter with new licence does first solo. #16  
Terry:

Now that the "FIRST SOLO" is over successfully, let me tell the story of my oldest daughter's first solo drive to school.

At the time we lived in Fairfax County and in the middle of her Senior year at high school we moved to a different part of the county. As soon as she got her license she wanted to start driving to school. After many trips to various places accompanied by Mom or Dad in all kinds of weather, we gave her the go ahead even though it was raining slightly. Her and my commute took the same road (a pretty rural, narrow, two lane road) for part of the way and she left about 25 minutes ahead of me.

As I'm driving to work and crest a small rise on this road, I come upon the flashing lights of the fire department and police cars. Creeping past the scene of the accident, I see my daughter's car upside down in the ditch on the opposite side of the road. I stopped and approached the officer and asked - in a shaky voice: "What happened to the girl who was driving that car - I'm her father." He said "She's OK, the ambulance just left to take her to the hospital to be checked out." I headed off to the hospital and called my wife while I was on the way.

It turned out that she WAS OK, just some minor bumps and scrapes although the car was totaled (it doesn't take much). Apparently she was passing a car coming in the opposite direction and concerned about giving him room and going very slow, she got a little too far to the right. When she felt/heard her right wheels in the gravel shoulder she over corrected and went off the left side of the road which has a fairly deep ditch. Her car, almost to a complete stop now, just slowly rolled upside down in the ditch.

If you have to, there are probably a number of ways of getting notified a loved one has been in a car accident. Coming upon their car upside down in a ditch is not one I'd choose.

WVBill,

Wow... thanks for the story - I think..... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif You're story had the best of endings. I can see that you're thankful for that.

There is always that thought in the back of your mind. One of things I keep on trying to impress upon her is that things move fast and you always have to be on the lookout for trouble. Good ol' defensive driving. However, there are things that are unavoidable and only experience can help you overcome them - maybe!! Just think of the times that something could have happened to you while drifted off into lala land while driving. We all have done it. Scares me everytime it happens. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Terry

/ Gulp - daughter with new licence does first solo. #18  
Whew, been there and done that and like Bird said "I'm glad those days are behind me".

Have two sons (the most expensive kind). Son #1 had aspirations to be a NASCAR driver and began training immediately after getting license. He totally destroyed one car and one truck but thankfully was not hurt in either wreck. Me and my insurance company are just now getting back on speaking terms.

Son #2 had no interest in the racing circuit and was (and still is) a very careful driver. Funny thing is #1 at 29 years old is now even more careful than #2.

All you can do is teach em the right way to act in an automobile, pray a lot and keep your fingers crossed.

Good Luck!

TBone

One of the things that I am thankful for is that I have girls instead of boys. Just seems like the girls are more level headed and responsible. A couple of families in our neighborhood have all boys and, at times, I do not know how the parents have kept their sanity. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I remember some of the boneheaded things that I had done when I was younger. Well, when I was older too... when I think about it. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Sigh.... being a parent. I'm still looking for the owners manual for both of them. Cannot figure out what happened to it! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Terry

/ Gulp - daughter with new licence does first solo. #20  
WVBill - I'm sure that makes Terry feel much better! We have narrow roads here in southern Indiana too. My brother works for the county road commission in Michigan and he says roads this narrow are not allowed in Michigan and is surprised they allow them here. Two full sized pickups with wide mirrors barely squeeze by and actually can't in some places. I wouldn't want to learn to drive here, but my kids will have to if we're still here in 10 years.