Bank harrassment!

/ Bank harrassment! #1  

jelc

Some time ago, a bank employee left a telephone message on my home number asking me the whereabouts of a 2005 Chrysler Town and County van, which they wanted to repossess. I called back saying I never owned such a vehicle and I did not know what this was about. I was told the bank had information I was the keeper of the vehicle. I said I never laid eyes on that van. I was then told that there was obviously an error, and that was the end of the matter.

Today, 6/26/2008, a collection agency agent turned up at my door step to repossess a 2005 Chrysler Town and county van on behalf of the bank. I was not there, so my wife dealt with the agent. The agent said two people stated the van was kept at my house, and I was named personally as the keeper of the vehicle. I do not know those people, and I have never seen that van. I called the agent, and he said I was indeed named as the keeper of the vehicle. when I asked him if my name was on the title, he said no. He seemed surprised that those two people knew so much about me, and I had the feeling he did not believe me when I said I had no idea who they were.

I called the bank using the number given to me by the collection agency agent, and told the lady on the phone my story. When I asked how the bank and those two people got so much information about me (My telephone is unlisted and I have a PO Box address), she said it must be a relative that gave them all the info. She refused to send me a letter stating the bank accepted I had nothing to do with that van, and refused to give me any assurance there would be no more calls from collection agency agents. She would only say she would file a report, which gives me no guarantee I will not be subjected to further action from the bank. What can I do for this to stop? Time for a lawyer? Any of you on the forum ever encountered such a bizarre situation?

JLC

/ Bank harrassment! #2  
jelc said:
What can I do for this to stop? Time for a lawyer? Any of you on the forum ever encountered such a bizarre situation?
JLC
1. Not sure. 2. Probably a good idea. 3. Nope.

Strongly advise keeping a detailed journal of what is happening, including names, dates, times, contents of conversations. All these things can be useuful if there is some form of legal action. Consider a call to your state attorney general, and your local PD (re: what you can do if these agents won't stay away, i.e., can you have them charged with trespass?) If these agents return I would definitely take their pictures. They may try to turn away or leave, but you ought to be able to get one good pic first.

/ Bank harrassment! #3  
The lady at the bank or anyone else you may have dealings with over this matter, in your journal...get their first/last name, title, and direct phone # in which you can contact them in case you need verification down the road. They will probably wiggle around it and want to avoid being responsible, but you deserve an honest answer.

/ Bank harrassment! #4  
Get a credit report and make sure the car loan isn't under your SSN - if it is you've got bigger issues to deal with.

As far as harassment goes this isn't bad. Look at it from the bank's point of view. Someone borrowed a lot of money from them, then didn't pay them back and now they want their collateral. The guys who (fraudulently?) took out the loan fingered you as having it and even knew your unlisted number, if I were the bank that certainly warrants a phone call and a followup visit to make sure you're not lying. Now that those two are over they should have no reason to continue to pursue this so you should be OK - but documentation is your friend here. But remember, you should be mad at whoever fingered you since the bank is just looking for their money.

/ Bank harrassment! #5  
If I had nothing to do with this van. The next time they showed up at my house I would tell them to leave & never return or they will be arrested for trespassing. If you aren't on any paperwork for the van or, they can't prove it. You can charge them with harassment if it continues

/ Bank harrassment! #6  
kenmac said:
If I had nothing to do with this van. The next time they showed up at my house I would tell them to leave & never return or they will be arrested for trespassing. If you aren't on any paperwork for the van or, they can't prove it. You can charge them with harassment if it continues

I couldn't agree more, but I would definitely do as JDBower said...pull a free credit report from all 3 agencies and make darn sure you aren't listed anywhere as a co-signer, etc.

You are allowed 1 free report per year from each agency.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Good luck,
Podunk

/ Bank harrassment!
Thanks to all for the advice... I checked my credit report online - nothing wrong there. My name is not on the title of the van - the collection agency told me that. I think those two people who gave my address as the place where the van was kept did just that - give my name and address as where the van was located. What worries me is still all the info those two people got - my unlisted telephone number, my street address (I have a PO box)...

JdBower wrote: [talking about the loan] "that certainly warrants a phone call and a followup visit to make sure you're not lying. Now that those two are over they should have no reason to continue to pursue this so you should be OK"

Problem is the bank will not give me assurance they will not pursue the matter further. I have never been one of their customers, and I will never be now! I will seek legal advice tomorrow, just in case.

As for documentation... it's all written down right now!

Thanks again to those who responded.

JLC

/ Bank harrassment! #8  
I've been out of the business for a while, but quite a few years ago it was federal law that a collection agency must immediately cease to contact you if you tell them that you are not responsible for the debt and you demand that they never contact you again. If I recall correctly, the collection agency then was required to provide you with written evidence you owe the debt or buzz off. Any continued contact by them would make them subject to huge fines and other sanctions.

/ Bank harrassment! #9  
Yep, Jeff (jdbower) gave you the right answer. You can't blame the bank, and I'd really be surprised if the police could arrest anyone for trespass or harrassment under the circumstances. I'd make myself a note of the dates, times, and names of people I, or my wife, talked to, get the credit report as Podunk mentioned, and forget it. Of course, if or when I learned who gave the bank that information, I might take some additional action against that person.:D

Forty years ago when I bought my first house (an older one), I got a letter and then a phone call from the local gas company. It seems the prior owner had bought that gas grill at the edge of the patio and the gas lights in the front and back yards, and had not paid for them. I had no idea how to contact the prior owner and explained that to them, and was never bothered by them again. Of course, I didn't consider it a bother since they were only doing what you would expect them to do.

I bought my current home in September, 2005, and since then have had one IRS investigator and one deputy sheriff with a warrant come to the door at different times looking for the prior owner.:D

/ Bank harrassment!
Bird,

You need to be more careful whom you buy your houses from! :)

What upsets me is not that the bank people checked, but that by now they should realize I had nothing to do with that van!

I fully intend to find out who those two people are, and how they got the info about me.

JLC