Greenhouses

/ Greenhouses #1  

lblair

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21D
Hi TBN'ers,
Is anyone is the greenhouse growing here. I am interested in the growing and selling of perenials, garden plants and veggy plants. Kinda like a down scaled nursery sales. Ive been looking at greenhouse with heat/cooling and such. The property and area to do this is all mine on a main route. It would be a ideal place to do this. Any info and tips on getting going would be great. Thanks, Larry in Upstate NY

/ Greenhouses #2  
I'm sorry I can't help much with the business aspects but I do have a greenhouse. In case you're new at this sort of thing....however big of a greenhouse you think you'll need, double it. However much heat capacity you think you'll need, double it (at least!). And whatever you think it will cost to heat your greenhouse, triple it. Now I don't mean to sound negative and there a lot of ways to get efficient use of the space as well as heat retention etc. I'm just relaying my experiences since I built mine. Photo attached. Good luck!

Attachments

• 6-137902-P1010002.JPG
    6-137902-P1010002.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 67
   / Greenhouses
Thanks for the input. What is your cover material. plexiglass? It doesnt look the the normal poly film covering?
Again thanks, Larry

/ Greenhouses #4  
We have a 40 foot long, 16 foot wide and 18 foot high green house built into our home. We heat with oil 8 months of the year. You have to be very careful as whit fly gets into greenhouses very fast and is a constant challenge. There are great rewards for your labor after you have you have spent for fans, misting systems, etc.
Good luck to you.
PJ

/ Greenhouses #5  
<font color=blue>What is your cover material. plexiglass?</font color=blue>

It's twin wall polycarbonate, possibly the best material you can use to cover a greenhouse. It is expensive and would hurt the bank acccount to use it for a really large greenhouse. It has excellent insulating qualities, UV resistance as well as resistance to breakage from rocks, hail etc. I bought almost everything for this project except the wood from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sundancesupply.com/>here</A>.

/ Greenhouses
Thanks for the website info. I checked them out. They got it all covered in materials and such. Thanks for the reply!
Larry

/ Greenhouses #7  
larry, if you do a greenhouse with a pipe frame and poly stretched over it use the double layer system with the blower set up. i get monthly trade magazines for comercial growers. if you want i;ll e-mail you some of the different web sites for suppliers. think long and hard before you get into this,because it can get very expensive and alot of hours of your time....tgello

/ Greenhouses #8  
Here is a small greenhouse that might help you get a small start...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/catprod.asp?dept%5Fid=50321&mscsid=FP7WTJ2Q0GVP8HTKLRTUT6TL3JXW4NR3>http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/catprod.asp?dept%5Fid=50321&mscsid=FP7WTJ2Q0GVP8HTKLRTUT6TL3JXW4NR3</A>