need good weed whacker / string trimmer

/ need good weed whacker / string trimmer #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I've been using a featherlite weedeater since 95.. well it gave up the ghost this weekend. At it's age.. it doesn't owe me anything.

I'm in search of a new string trimmer... preferable more HD than the featherlite ( got that cause the wife said she wanted to help outside.. but she never touched it.. go figure :rolleyes: ).. Anyway.. i wanted to stay at a budget of 100$ or so. I was headed down to look at the 80$ unit I saw inthe walmart flyer this weekend, when i stopped into TSC and say they were discontinuing MTD trimmers and had 150$ trimmer for 120$. It's a hair over budget.. but I would swing it if it's a decent trimmer. was a 4cycle one at that. I've not used any 4 cycle trimmer that I can remember... won't know what to do not mixing gas and oil!

any coments on either unit?

thanks

gotta make the purchase this week as the neighbors are getting fussy!

soundguy

/ need good weed whacker / string trimmer #2  
I've got a Toro 4-cycle trimmer that's treated me well. It's only 3 years old or so but the only thing that's gone wrong with it is the string feeder can be a bit temperamental (but I've never had good luck with the feeder mechanisms so maybe it's me). Having a 4-stroke is nice not only because I don't need to mix the gas, but there's also no cloud of smoke that follows me around and it seems quieter (but I still use ear protection).

I've also had good luck with some of the B&D 18V cordless lawn tools, but I don't have their trimmer nor do I think it'll keep a charge long enough to handle a larger property.

/ need good weed whacker / string trimmer
Yep.. BTDT with electric.. not doing that again.

I assume ont he 4 cycle it has an oil sump? ( again.. I've not used one so don't know! )

Are toro and MTD 'related' ? IE.. does MTD make units for toro?

soundguy

/ need good weed whacker / string trimmer #4  
I've got a Troybilt 4 cycle and I'm going on my 3rd trouble free season with it. Got it on sale at Lowes but even at the good deal I got ($119.00) I've not seen them that low since. It came w/a dual string trimmer head and a brush blade. Lowest I've seen lately is around $130 and up.
This same machine is also pakg'ed as Ryobi and several other brands.
It does have an oil sump and overhead valves. In the 3 seasons I've worked it, it hasn't used any oil between changes nor have I replaced the spark plug nor air filter yet. Basically besides the yr'ly oil changes it's been maintenance free.
I've held it at every angle imaginable and it's not smoked nor acted like it's been oil starved.
It's worked so well that I've added the polesaw attachment, edger attachment and larger string head attachment.
The edger works so-so in that it'll hop all over the place in hard ground but does OK once the cut is established.
The pole saw does a very good job, up to 11' reach but at that length it's a handful to control.
It's a straight shaft with the easy quick change attachment system and has a shoulder strap which I use with all attachments.
It may be alittle heavy for your Mrs but then again the shoulder strap carries most of the load.
Good luck

/ need good weed whacker / string trimmer #5  
Soundguy said:
Are toro and MTD 'related' ?

I may have to retract my Toro statement, looking online they seem to only have electrics. (I'm currently away from home) Since I got mine at Lowes I'm assuming that I've got the same (or a similar) Troy Bilt as Volfandt. Just shows you how often I need to work on it :D Troy Bilt and MTD seem to have the same parent company.

You probably know the 4-cycle vs. 2-cycle issues. I'm guessing it's a bit heavier than an equivalent 2-cycle and the 2-cycle motors generally run at higher RPMs. Still, I find my trimmer to be comfortable (it's got a neck strap) and it cuts through my grasses just fine even if a 2-cycle may have a higher string speed.

Showing my ignorance here.. but do the 4 cycles have a 'crankcase' oil sump that needs to be changed?

soundguy

/ need good weed whacker / string trimmer #7  
I have a 4-cycle Stihl that uses the standard oil/gas mix. Works great.

I'm lookint at a mtd and a.. Uh? troybuilt I think.. mtd is 4 cycle and says uses plain gas... I need to go read the box more and see what it uses for lube.. got to be some lube needed I would think?

soundguy

/ need good weed whacker / string trimmer #9  
Since I'm home now I can tell you that the model # is:TB490BC. I'm pretty sure it's made by MTD.
Showing my ignorance here.. but do the 4 cycles have a 'crankcase' oil sump that needs to be changed?
Yes, AND the oil should be changed every 25 hrs (per manual). It also calls for the valve clearance to be checked every 25hrs. They were dead on when I checked them after two seasons.
In my previous post I used the term oil sump but, perhaps I should have used crankcase as that better describes the engine. It holds approx 3.4 fluid oz's of oil.
It does have an oil sump and overhead valves. In the 3 seasons I've worked it, it hasn't used any oil between changes nor have I replaced the spark plug nor air filter yet. Basically besides the yr'ly oil changes it's been maintenance free.

I need to go read the box more and see what it uses for lube.. got to be some lube needed I would think?
std 30w SF/SG/SH oil

On this model you do NOT mix gas & oil. This is a very small 4 cycle engine that has a separate oil sump/crankcase and fuel tank and it operates just like any other single cylinder 4 cycle engine, with the exception of its compact size.

Good luck

/ need good weed whacker / string trimmer #10  
MTD owns troy built. MTD owns a lot of what used to be independent co's.
i have a stihl 2 cycle model. probabaly the bottom of their line. i use it not only to trim around the house but i also use it to trim around my market garden. it has held up very well for what must be at least 10 years.