OTR Trucks

/ OTR Trucks #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
I know there are some truckers on here, maybe someone can answer my curiosities...

I've been a fan of trucks and trucking since I was a kid. I was a big time carpet trucker and built my share of plastic model kits of the big rigs. Back then I knew the difference between a cabover and a conventional, but didn't know the pros/cons of either.

So yesterday, I'm on a quick trip to Detroit with nothing to do but observe trucks. It didn't take me long to realize there are no more cabover trucks (except the smaller, city delivery type rigs). It wasn't long ago that JBHunt had a whole fleet of International (Navistar?) cabovers with set-back front axles. Not sure why I remember those, but they seemed kind of neat. But now, nothing. Not one single cabover amongst hundreds of semi-trucks that I saw.

I'm sure there are good reasons for this, and I can imagine a couple but why the relatively sudden demise? If cabovers are so "bad" now, what made them attractive a couple of decades ago?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me!

/ OTR Trucks #2  
I noticed this same thing a few months ago. I'm just guessing here. But I would guess 2 reasons for their demise. Driver comfort. The cabovers were pretty cramped because of a big engine hump in the middle of the truck. I also heard they didn't ride as well. Second and probably more important to the companies fuel mileage. It is easier to start breaking the air up with the hood and slope it around the cab and trailer. Take a look at the newer Kenworth sloped hoods.

Why were cabovers popular? I would guess maneurverability. A little bit shorter so they could turn sharper. I would say redesigns have helped the newer ones turn as well. I think I had heard at one point conventionals were banned in certain cities because of turning ability, but as that improved it conventionals that ban got lifted.

None of these are facts, just my opinion from looking at it from outside as also a fan of trucks and trains and well pretty much anything with wheels and an engine.

/ OTR Trucks #4  
jwstewar said:
Why were cabovers popular? I would guess maneurverability.

That fits my observations, cabovers are still popular in cities with box trucks. For long haul trucks they've fallen by the wayside.

/ OTR Trucks #5  
In all seriousness, I just remembered hearing several years ago that truckers that used cab over trucks had lower fertility rates. Sitting over the engine caused more heat to build up under the operator's seat, which heated the blood vessels, which killed or seriously diminished the motility of the "boys in the army", so to speak.

Truckers also complained about the ride over the axle being extremely rough, and the fact that you had to tilt the entire cab up to service the engine. Large sleepers would have to tilt, too. Have you noticed the size of some of the sleepers these days? They are huge and I could see where a cab over with a large sleeper would not work very well for servicing the engine.

/ OTR Trucks #6  
I don't remember seeing alot of cab overs with sleepers. If they had them, I'am sure they were small

/ OTR Trucks #7  
kenmac said:
I don't remember seeing alot of cab overs with sleepers. If they had them, I'am sure they were small
Here's a link to a trader site that has lots of them with cab overs/sleepers. Yes, they are small... not the apartment sized ones you see today. :D
Cabover/coe for Sale - CommercialTruckTrader.com

/ OTR Trucks #8  
My wife and I drove cross-country for a decade starting in the mid-seventies.

We had cabovers because the length laws required us to... the laws, at least in some states, specified the total overall length limit. The laws were later changed to specify the trailer length limit only, allowing a tractor of any size.

Cabovers have a worse ride because you are sitting over the front axle. They are also more dangerous in crashes, especially head-on accidents. We would have owned a conventional tractor if we legally could have.

Phil

/ OTR Trucks #9  
I have a Volvo/White Cab-over dump truck. Talk about a pain to get and out of. It is like climbing a tree going up and good luck getting out with out falling.

/ OTR Trucks
Very interesting insights, thanks all. I was unaware of the length restrictions, that makes sense now.

I see a lot of current, conventional trucks with the front axle set back pretty far. I assume that's for manueverability but doesn't that make the ride as bad as the old cabovers?