Treadmills

/ Treadmills #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
Well, we've been talking in that other thread about obesity, fat, etc., so now I've got another question. I used to think that folks who exercised just for the sake of exercise just didn't have enough work to do, but I'm afraid I now find myself in that position.:eek: I'd like to have a treadmill; don't want to go walking up and down the street in the Texas heat. But it seems to me that most of the people I've known who had a treadmill didn't use it long before they got tired of it, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on one, not knowing how long or how much I'd use it.

I think I'd want at least a 50" tread length, powered, not manual, with variable speed, and a display to show the speed and distance traveled. I really don't need any of the other fancy features. I've looked on the Interet at used ones and notice several that say they're in good shape, but need a new drive belt.:rolleyes: I'd be glad to save money and buy a used one, but not one that isn't working to start with, and I'd want one that parts and/or repair service is available locally. So I can't decide whether to buy new or used, nor which brand and/or model.

What do you recommend?

/ Treadmills #2  
An exercise bike that has arm actuators to include your arms.

/ Treadmills #3  
Find a good health club in your area. You will find that between working out with other people and using a variety of equipment that you will get a much more effective workout. You will find all age groups working out at the clubs. Home exercise equipment usually ends up being good for hanging clothes on.

/ Treadmills #4  
I'd suggest that you don't buy a cheap one like you'll find in wallyworld or k-mart. Those are the ones that you see on the curbside from time to time.

If you want to keep using it, the best thing is to keep it where it's handy. If it's in the basement - well 'Out of sight, out of mind'. I keep mine in a spare bedroom.

Another thing that might help is to keep a log of your progress. You might be tempted to use it every day, but some people think that your body will adjust to the increased demands. Sure your endurance will increase, but weight loss will taper off. These people suggest using it three times a week will result in more weight loss than every day. It's an interesting idea and may be right.

/ Treadmills #5  
Well- we don't use the one we bought a decade ago, out in the barn waiting for the perfect place to put it to start using it again. However, if you do purchase one, look at the warehouse places- Sam's or Costco often will have a pretty good one for a reasonable amount of money.

/ Treadmills
JESSE1, I know you're right, but that just isn't for me. Like ragkar said, if I buy one, it'll be handy and convenient to use anytime; won't have to get ready, get out in whatever kind of weather, drive to the health club, etc. Of course, I'm not saying I won't ever do that because things change, but I don't think I'll ever want to do that.

And Doc, can you tell me why you think the exercise bike would be better than a treadmill?

/ Treadmills #7  
I have all of them Treadmill, Bike, Recumbent Bike, I have full gym in my home. What matters is what you like to do. If you like to run or walk the the treadmill is for you. The bottom line is if you do not like to do it you will not. The treadmill is the most expensive piece though. mine has programs and does landscapes with inclines. I would recommend a treadmill that rates for a 300 pound bed with a wide deck.

/ Treadmills #8  
Wide deck! Mine is 18 inches and occasionally I take a "wild" step and miss the moving bed and I get out of rhythm and have to step off and start again. This happens often enough that I quit using it and just walk in circles in the garage. The garage is 30 x 46 with lots of windows so it is almost like walking outside.

/ Treadmills
You know, as I've heard, "This gettin' old ain't for sissies." And maybe I expect too much of myself, as I've been known to do with others. I was 46 years old when I went to the FBI National Academy and the maximum age allowed is 50. Everyone is required to participate in their physical training course, which is primarily a lot of running. Well, I was a bit concerned, and figured being one of the "old men" in the class, it was going to be embarrassing. So I was quite surprised to find about a third of the group behind me all the time. I sure wasn't out in front, but was far enough up in the pack to not be embarrassed.:) Then after I retired and was 52, I let my wife talk me into going to the Scott & White Clinic for a "complete" physical; 5 days of tests, including the stress test on the treadmill. So while I was jogging along on the treadmill, the phone rang, and I heard one of the 3 people in the room monitoring everything answer the phone, then said, "Yeah, I know we're running behind schedule, but he's just lasted longer than we thought he could."

Then in 1993-94, I was doing gas leakage surveys so I walked 5 to 15 miles a day, 5 days a week, usually about 6 to 10 miles.

And now I'm 68, living back in town, have very little actual "work" to do, and have some doubts that I could walk 5 miles if I tried. So I'd like to get back to walking, but I'm also lazy and don't like hot weather so I don't want to walk the streets around here.

/ Treadmills #10  
Physical fitness is a way of life not a destination. We are all responsible for our own health, that is completely up to the individual. I have been doing this for a long time. You can call it what ever you want Fitness, Bodybuilding it doesn't really matter. We are all getting older & there is no way to stop that. What you do have control over though is how healthy you can be in your older years.I have known men in there 50s that are ready for the grave and I have known men deep in there 90s cutting and splitting 11 cord of wood a year with hammers & wedges to heat there homes all winter. The real question is who do you want to be? There is only 1 fountain of youth & it is neither free or easy. Muscle tone can only be maintained by work or wt lifting and your internals can only be maintained by cardiovascular exercise. You can either take control of your own health or sit back and let it go to lack of physical movement. These are the choices we all have, the things you do today will determine how you will be tomorrow