Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4310

Default Trash to Treasure

The Little woman went to the recycling center tonight, I had to work late. She got to the metal dumpster looked inside to put some stuff in it and saw what she thought was a stihl chain saw, and it was. So she grabbed it, Thinking we could use it for parts. We started looking it over and and didn't see anything wrong with it, pulled on it, sounded normal, checked the gas, smelled bad, replaced the the gas, cleaned the air filter. Checked the carb adjustment screws, set the carb shield to summer setting. Put the choke on pulled 2 times it popped, went to mid choke pulled 4 times it smelled flooded, flipped it to run opened the throttle pulled 3 times it took off I put a bar and chain on it and cut up a downed tree I had been putting off for awhile. The saw ran great

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Default Re: Trash to Treasure

Quote Originally Posted by Hookblock
    The Little woman went to the recycling center tonight, I had to work late. She got to the metal dumpster looked inside to put some stuff in it and saw what she thought was a stihl chain saw, and it was. So she grabbed it, Thinking we could use it for parts. We started looking it over and and didn't see anything wrong with it, pulled on it, sounded normal, checked the gas, smelled bad, replaced the the gas, cleaned the air filter. Checked the carb adjustment screws, set the carb shield to summer setting. Put the choke on pulled 2 times it popped, went to mid choke pulled 4 times it smelled flooded, flipped it to run opened the throttle pulled 3 times it took off I put a bar and chain on it and cut up a downed tree I had been putting off for awhile. The saw ran great

sounds like a very good find. Any idea why they threw it away ??? Sounds like the little woman has a very good eye

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D Supersteer

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac
    sounds like a very good find. Any idea why they threw it away ???
    Because they didn't know how to: check for bad smelling gas, replace the the gas, clean the air filter, check the carb adjustment screws, set the carb shield to summer setting. Put the choke on, pull it 2 times - have it pop to mid choke, pull 4 times and check for flooding smell, flip it to run, open the throttle, pull it three times to start it.
    Chris

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Starting technique i find works perfectly with every Stihl i've operated:

Full choke two or three pulls until it kicks once.
    Switch to half choke, one pull and it starts.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Now thats what I call "recycling"
    now wheres that lotto ticket that needs "recycled"

Tractor
    New Holland TC45 Shuttle

hahaha, great....

i live off other's junk or stuff their done with.........it's amazing how much good stuff goes in the garbage......
    TC45 Shuttle, 270 hours, 758C backhoe, 16LA loader

Well, I looks like I just bought myself a lot of work.....

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Quote Originally Posted by Flatheadyoungin
    hahaha, great....

i live off other's junk or stuff their done with.........it's amazing how much good stuff goes in the garbage......
    It's sad how we have become a throw away society.

We use "Freecycle" frequently, to give things away, or get odds and ends. It's a pretty good forum/program.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Quote Originally Posted by DocHeb
    Because they didn't know how to: check for bad smelling gas, replace the the gas, clean the air filter, check the carb adjustment screws, set the carb shield to summer setting. Put the choke on, pull it 2 times - have it pop to mid choke, pull 4 times and check for flooding smell, flip it to run, open the throttle, pull it three times to start it.

If it were one of the el cheapo saws I could understand throwing it away . But, that wasn't an el cheapo saw

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

I've gotten some great stuff dumpster diving!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Tractor
    JD 4310

Ran the saw again tonight just to check it out again and it still works great. Why they tossed it Its a 025 old style gas and oil caps ( didn't like the caps? I've never been fond of them) Yes she has a great eye, great find. It's when she brings home I beams and other heavy stuff I get a little nervous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast