Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #11  
About the best deal going on a .17 is the Marlin 917V and Wallymart stocks it. It's bull barrelled, but not floated and it doesn't have a match trigger as some of the others on the market, but I'll tell you this: It's death on a stick for squirrels, coons, 'possums and armadillos and feral cats and will shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yards all day long!

It'll cost you less than 200 bucks. Put a decent scope on it, sight it in for 100 yards and never look back.

A box of 50 rounds cost around 12.00. Not cheap, but not expensive either. It'll shoot circles around anything .22LR...not even in the same category.

22-250's are straight shooters, wickedly fast travelling, dead on accurate and much, much more powerful than .17's! Although the .17 is a great weapon (for it's purpose), 22-250's and .17's aren't even in the same timezone for comparison's sake.

Podunk

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17
Podunkadunk said:
About the best deal going on a .17 is the Marlin 917V and Wallymart stocks it. It's bull barrelled, but not floated and it doesn't have a match trigger as some of the others on the market, but I'll tell you this: It's death on a stick for squirrels, coons, 'possums and armadillos and feral cats and will shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yards all day long!

It'll cost you less than 200 bucks. Put a decent scope on it, sight it in for 100 yards and never look back.

A box of 50 rounds cost around 12.00. Not cheap, but not expensive either. It'll shoot circles around anything .22LR...not even in the same category.

22-250's are straight shooters, wickedly fast travelling, dead on accurate and much, much more powerful than .17's! Although the .17 is a great weapon (for it's purpose), 22-250's and .17's aren't even in the same timezone for comparison's sake.

Podunk

Thanks for the tip on the Marlin. I wasn't trying to compare the 22-250 to a .17 as I know they are two completely different animals. I was just looking at other possible options for varmit control.

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #13  
You can't go wrong with a Savage, They are inexpensive,and dead on right out of the box. I bought one about 6 months ago, package deal with a scope for under $275 and it will shoot 1.5" groups at 200 yards.

Well, the pic is not the best but here is a pic of the 597. You can see the thumb hold is gone and the action is stuck open part way. I didn't have my good camera to get any good pics so hopefully this will do.

0805081820a.jpg

ToadHill said:
You can't go wrong with a Savage, They are inexpensive,and dead on right out of the box. I bought one about 6 months ago, package deal with a scope for under $275 and it will shoot 1.5" groups at 200 yards.

I was looking at a Savage today while at my dealers. I was originally going to buy a Savage but then ended up with the Remington. That didn't work out the way I had hoped though. So now I am trying to decide what to do. I am thinking if I can get Remington to trade out my 597 for a 22-250 of some sort I will go that route then add a .17 Savage unless I find something else that just strikes me.

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #16  
I shoot quite a few pigs with a Savage 204. It's a very accurate gun out to about 300 yds.

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #19  
I have a 22-250, .223, 22 Hornet, and 22 rimfires. These days I almost always pick up the 223 to dispatch groundhogs etc. Cheaper ammo than the 22 -250, quieter and every bit as effective within 400 yds. The Hornet is great but finickity with loadings -- quiet but not as accurate. IMHO you would never regret the .223:eek:

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #20  
I was also going to suggest the 223 based on cheap ammo and effectiveness. It's not ideal for everything but does quite a nice job.