Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #41  
I And yes that's a $800 Swarovski scope on a $200 rifle. :)

I'm a big fan of Swarovski optiks and own two. My 10x50 binoculars and a 1.5X6 scope with 30mm tubes. Both cost more then $800, and that was over a dozen years ago. Todays prices are almost double what I paid for them. Was that price from way back when? or do you have a source that's allot more affordable then any I know of?

While European glass has set the standard and is far superior to most of the world, some of the Japanese big name camera companies have been putting out some excellent glass for a very reasonable price. Especially compared to the big names like Ziess, Leica and Swarvoski.

Eddie

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #42  
Ahhhhh, the advantage of my best friend owning a gun store and being a Swarovski dealer, he sells them to me for his cost.

I forgot to add in case someone noticed the Savage I pictured is a older model and does not have the newer Accutrigger. The older model Savage rimfire rifle triggers were a little sloppy and had excessive pull length but it was easily fixed. Back when I purchased that rifle there were no aftermarket triggers for them so modification was the only way to fix them. It is rather easy on them as all you really have to do is shim the trigger housing down a little with a piece of shim stock. It greatly reduces the pull length and my pull weight now sets at about 12 ounces. I do have a couple of newer Savages with the Accutrigger, the most recent being a 204 Ruger. The Accutrigger is a marked improvement over the previous standard trigger system.

Actually, speaking of the 204 Ruger that would be my next choice for a varmint rifle. I wouldn't recommend it in highly populated areas but where the 17 HMR drops off the 204 Ruger picks up out to about 500 yards. Its great for dropping ground hogs at much longer distances and with hand loaded ammunition and the proper bullet its also a tack driver but at much longer ranges.

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17
Well, I finally had the chance to sight the new gun in. I am spot on at 100 yards and haven't shot any further yet but with the Sweet 17 scope I am looking forward to it. The new Remington bolt action needed some lubrication as it wasn't ejecting the shells but other then that it is much more reliable and safer then the 597. Today I got my first kill with a .17. Rabbits have found our strawberry patch and I eliminated one of them at 40 yards (a .22 would have done the task but I wanted to try the .17). I was quite impressed at how accurate this gun is and how fast it killed the rabbit. All the rabbit did was fall over (shot through the chest) and quiver. Didn't even kick or flop. Now I can't wait for that woodchuck to pop his head out again:D