Hitting the Road--Need Motor Home Advice

/ Hitting the Road--Need Motor Home Advice #11  
<font color=blue>One thing to plan, is how to get mail forwarded, and bills paid.</font color=blue>

With the web bill pay, as long as you have web (and TBN /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) access, this shouldn't be much of a problem... In fact, many bills can now be paid thru auto debit.

/ Hitting the Road--Need Motor Home Advice #12  
I wish anyone , who buys a motorhome luck in this day and age. Being a truckdriver , I know that at times RV's and such are put into the hands of some who drove a car all their lives. Remember a couple of small things about travel on the roads today, keep up with traffic, respect the fact that you are driving something much bigger than a car, and some people are out there to make a living, please stay out of their way for your sake. I'm a local truckdriver, who makes my money driving, and I feel uncomfortable with some drivers on the road today. Just trying to give some insight. Please be safe. Kent

PS Bird must have did it right, he's still here after 6 years, and I'm here after 15.

/ Hitting the Road--Need Motor Home Advice #13  
As a motorhomer who has also spent a fair amount of time truck driving I have to echo what Steelfan says. Stay to the right whenever possible, and if you are in the right lane and a truck or other big vehicle is merging onto the freeway, move one lane over to the left if you can. Smaller vehicles should make way for you in the same situation. Remember that big trucks cannot change speed quickly, and please always pass on the left. I'm probably one of the few RVers who think that a special license should be required for the larger motorhomes and trailers. "Keep the shiny side up"/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Hitting the Road--Need Motor Home Advice #14  
<font color=blue>a special license should be required for the larger motorhomes and trailers.</font color=blue>

I'll second that motion....... Driving a large motorhome or pulling a large trailer for a week or two every year or so does not constitute knowing how to operate one safely.......

/ Hitting the Road--Need Motor Home Advice #15  
<font color=blue>One thing to plan, is how to get mail forwarded, and bills paid</font color=blue>

One advantage of joining the Good Sam Club, Family Motor Coach Association, or other similar organizations is to learn how to handle all that. Some folks use relatives, but there are mail forwarding/phone answering services located in a number of states at very reasonable prices. Of course we used at ATM card when we needed cash, but primarily used two credit cards, plus an AT&T "non-subscriber" calling card. I knew what day of the month each of them sent out the bills, just called their 800 numbers to find out how much the bill was, and mailed a check. And I could call my mail forwarding service 800 number anytime and tell them to send my mail to "General Delivery" at whatever post office I wanted to pick it up.

/ Hitting the Road--Need Motor Home Advice #16  
All good advice. And when a truck passed me, I always signalled with my headlights when it was safe for him to pull back in front of me, and the vast majority of truck drivers did the same for me when I passed them. I also always had a CB radio. If I was on a two lane road, winding, hilly, etc. and saw a truck approaching from the rear, I'd tell him that I'd let him know when it was safe to come around, and that I'd let off (slow down) when he started around. No problem.