Tractor
    tc-35 fwd 16la fel,hd bucket, folding ROPS, Deluxe hitch

Default How da do dat?

Watching the race today and saw the grass in the infield cut the same way they do it on ball fields. I have seen the grass cut in stripes, curves, checkerboard, logos,etc. It appears to be different colors. Is it cut different lengths? Is it rolled? How do they do that.

Maybe its aliens like crop circles[img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe if I find out I could experiment on the neighbors yard when they aren't home.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D Supersteer

Default Re: How da do dat?

They use reel mowers (rather than rotary mowers), and then have rollers following to make the grass lay down. Coming and going give two different reflections due to the lay of the grass. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.howstuffworks.com/question612.htm>How Stuff Works </A>

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Default Re: How da do dat?

Speaking of crop circles, I saw a special on how they are actually made. Not by aliens, but something close- college age geeks with ropes, compasses, tape measures, flat boards and way too much time on their hands. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Default Re: How da do dat? Lawn Striping

It is called striping. Simplicity lawn mowers do an excellent job of this because they all have rollers across the entire rear of the deck. It is so popular, that they have a web page on the subject. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.simplicitymfg.com/stripe/index.htm> Click here to see it. </A>