EMT

/ EMT #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
I have a hoophouse that I want to put back into service. I bought it many years ago and stopped using it because I got a better greenhouse.
The hoops are made from electrical metallic tubing. The hoops are marked 3/4 but the o/s diameter is 15/16. the ground stakes are marked 1/2 but the o/s diameter is bigger (I forgot what it is exactly). How is this stuff measured? The original instructions that came with it (its a kit) called for building a ridge out of dimensional lumber. I want to instead run 2 purlins made from new EMT that i would buy. But I would need some kind of fitting to tie it all together and I'm not sure what size to buy.

/ EMT #2  
As I undestand it, pipe is measure by inside diameter since it is intended to carry something inside. Tubing is measured by outside diameter. It would seem that EMT is considered pipe. Which makes sense in every way except when we call it emT.
Not sure about the the ground stakes.

/ EMT
I checked the ID of the tubing. the one marked 3/4 is 13/16. the one marked 1/2 is 9/16. i guess precision doesn't count here.