bartering

/ bartering #1  

tgello

Silver Member
Tractor
nh tc33d,ford 8n,jd 410
i was wondering how many do a good majoraty or any of thier business on the barter system? i've survived in business for over 16 years doing it. what has happened to doing business the old fashion way with a hand shake and a gentalmans agreement? just a thought.....tgello

/ bartering #2  
Maybe in today world people aren't so trusting,if you were to compare 35 to 40 years ago...sad isn't it

/ bartering #3  
There's a lot of that here in Vermont. Integrity is the norm. In fact, the bank tellers actually apologize if they have to ask for ID! "I'm sorry, sir, but I haven't worked here long enough to know you yet. Would you have some ID I could see?"

I think at least part of the motivation for bartering is to keep things under the table. Most Yankees are loathe to give Uncle Sam more than they have to. But another part of it is a respect for your neighbors. The difference between an Old Vermonter and a newcomer is if the old timer has a tree fall across his driveway and you go to help, he thanks you and shakes your hand when the job is done. There is an understanding that if and when the tables are turned he will be there for you. The newcomer, on the other hand, whips out his wallet and tries to pay you. I don't like that way as much.

Pete

/ bartering #4  
Pete

You bring out a good point when it comes to helping the person next door or down the road. When you see a person that has a need and you offer assistance the only thing you expect is a thank you a smile and a little credit in the return favor account.

Many people I have helped that come from out of state look at me like I have two heads when I say you don't owe me anything I just hope you never have to return the favor.

Kind of sad to think that money if the best way to say thank you.

Randy

/ bartering #5  
I once lived in an apartment complex...I’m maybe a “high average” on mechanical ability considering no formal training. Guy across complex having DICKENS of time getting car started...upshot..needed complete tune up. (plugs, points .etc..)

Just so happened I had all the tools since I maintained my own car (1971 Olds 4-4-2 convertible). Told him get a pencil. I made a list, we went to store, came back, I did all the work, the car started and ran like a top.

Upon finishing..he wanted to know what he owed me..(we probably put 2 to 3 hours total into project...clearly I was going out of my way) I told him he owed me nothing. As payment to me, he might some day do something completely out of his way to help someone else in some way that he could.

He just stared at me.....