Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #11  
I sure disagree about the tranny's on Ford. We have eight powerstrokes at home and they are all chipped and have anywhere from 10-350k on them. Two of them that are autos have over 150k on them and the transmission hasn't been touched. Mine now has 62k on it and not one problem with the transmission. I was worried about the transmission as well but it seems if you get the chip it actually helps the transmission by shifting firmer. Two of my friends both have autos with 100hp chips and one has 130k and the other 75k and no problems with the transmission. I would definitely by another auto after how well I have seen these other guys perform. Before that I wouldn't have touched one either.

I don't know about the Chevy but the Ford comes standard with the 3.73 gears but you can get the 4.10's.

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #12  
Robert, thats what I've been hearing as well regarding transmissions. The Ford automatic transmission currently in use today is as I understand is still the basic E4OD although modified and renamed. I have the E4OD in my truck and although Banks has a control module to "fool" the transmission into thinking its doing something its not, as Banks describes it, I have been less then estatic about my E4. The C6 was bullet proof and the number one reason Ford offered it so long was for the rental truck market that demanded it for maximum durability. Isuzu builds some great diesels. The Cummins and Powerstroke are also very fine diesels. I sure would like to get out and test drive the Chevy. I can't get to excited about it though as I always buy used and am not in the market for a truck. When I see the price of new trucks, I just have to laugh and ask WHY? I'll stick with the Ford until I have to fix or repair daily. In the end, their all fine light trucks., take care, Rat

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #13  
I can't comment on the diesel but, I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD, ExtCab, 4x4, 8.1L, Allison transmission. And am getting ready to ask for a new truck. GMC has been trying to track down a grinding noise I get for 1 to 2 secs at certain speeds, 5 days in the shop, new radiator, new Allison transmission and problem still exists. It is worse at 20 mph in tow haul mode towing. I have had this problem since the first month. 1 yr old and 24,000 miles.

Anybody else have this problem?

Fuel Stats:
14 hwy
10 city
10 towing

larry

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #14  
A friend had a '99 F250 Powerstroke Auto for two years, but sold it 'cause the payment was too big... Stock, they had no problem with the tranny.

I believe you, and that you can put power on things without breaking. When I was growing up, we had Jeeps; first was a '42 Willy's. We knew a lot of folks dropping chevy small blocks in front of the stock 3sp tranny that was made for the flathead 4-cylinder. A lot of them lasted a long time, depending on how the person drove it.

You know, one thing that is hard about all this, is it's hard to get the real facts on an engine, or tranny, whatever. I hear the taslk about the Dodge's, especially since I have one, but the Sacrament Ca shop my Dad works at does not see the volume of problems that is rumored.

I would buy another Ford; I have always liked them; that's what I had before my Dodge('63 f100, 80 f250, 89 f250). I like my Dodge better right now, but in the future the options available might change my mind...

I like my bosses 2001 F450 with Powerstroke/6-speed. It's a nice truck, and handles heavy work. We've had it loaded pretty good with concrete rifraf, dirt, road base ect.

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #15  
Rat,
The 4r100 is a completely different transmission from the E40d. In 1998 they completely redesigned the transmission to handle the increased hp and torque that they came out with with the improved powerstroke. That is a common misconception. Kind of like the rumor that Ford owns Cummins.

On the good side in response to the 5 speed auto allison Ford is responding by coming out with an all new 5 speed auto and a 6 cylinder diesel for 2003. I do like competition it keeps raising the bar and making better trucks available.

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #16  
Richard, I did not know either and you are exactly right, competition is good for all of us. I will anxiously await for info on the Ford. Although I hate to admit it, I am a little brand loyal towards Ford. Its probably not the best way to be, especially if I am trying to remain objective. At the same time I recognize this and have to admit, I'm only human. I like the new body style on the Ford perhaps the best of all the trucks, the Chevys is nice as well and the Dodge, well when it first came out, I did not care for it but its either grown on me or I've seen it so much that its not factor.

Really curious about this 6 cylinder diesel. I could easily live with a little quieter, better fuel economy diesel with a little less power if it should be the case. I realize that just because its a 6 cylinder does not mean it will have less power, but after using the Powerstroke, it has a ton of power and plenty of punch that even a little less would not be a concern for me. Rat...

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #17  
Kinda curious. You fellows want a light duty or medium duty diesel ?

Egon

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #18  
Rat,
The 6 cylinder is supposed to come from the factory with 325 hp and 650 lbs. of torque.

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #19  
Hey Egon, I'm not even sure what the difference would be between a light duty and medium duty diesel. If were talking longevity, I think the answer is pretty obvious. I personally would like to get more miles per gallon or kilometers per liter. I guess its the uncertainty of the next ten years and the predicted price of crude oil going considerably higher then it is currently. Speculation of Chinas economy picking up steam and importing oil at double todays US consumption rate in the next 20 years is fueling these speculations. I think economics will be on our minds perhaps even more then power. it's going to be a challenge and I'm sure were going to see some pretty sizeable changes. So back to medium or light duty, I want it all, power, mileage, smooth and quiet, nice cheap price, longevity and world peace, what can I get for $10,000? Rat...

/ Deciding Duramax vs Powerstroke #20  
I like the idea of the Duramax, just cause it's quieter. My Dodge/Cummins sure is loud! The Power strokes I've been around aren't much quieter.

I still wonder why diesels are so loud??? Obvious by the Duramax, they can be designed quieter! Even my little 3-cylinder Kubota has a good rattle to it. What is it about the design that makes it so prone to noise. Is it piston slap, or what?

We just got our new Fire Engine for our station... It has the 8.9l Cummins. Talk about a motor! It runs awesome! 350hp, and something like 1500lb of torque.

I wonder what Rudolf Diesel would think of where we are now? Did you know Adolphus Busch of Budwieser fame was one of the original backers of the diesel engine? He put up a million dollars to help Rudolf do early development of his engine. Early Cat's were called RD4, RD6, instead of D4 or D6; for Rudolph Diesel.