Attorney will work for olive oil

/ Attorney will work for olive oil #1  

rox

Veteran Member
This is a bitter sweet post. The bitter part is the guy we sold my husband's restaurant to 7 years ago quit paying and we are gettin it back. We sold it on a Lond Contract which is different than a mortgage. On a Land Contract the title is in the purchasers name after the last payment is made.

Yeah it really sucks. That payment made our farm payment so we are really screwed now. We put down a huge amount on our farm but still had a mortgage so like I said it is very tough times in our house. Instead of going back home to France at the end of our September vacation I am stuck here having to deal with it. I had planned on spending a week with my parents with my husband leaving a week early. he flew home and while he was on the airlplane I got the e-mail that the guy had closed the doors. This is very troubling for us, very troubling. At least my husband an I are hanging tight together and we will work through it.

We don't get legal possession until we foreclose but I did get the guy to give me keys and also jointly sign a listing contract. The lawyer next door really wants it and can afford it but he wants an operator in there as a tenant before he buys it. So we have some irons in the fire but nothing yet.

Our regular attorney says that he is not a litigator and has never done a foreclosure on a land contract he will find me an attorney who specializes in it. So he sits on his hands for a while and nothing happens so I get busy. I go to the website for the Circut Cout and look up sheriffs sale foreclosures. I look up the paperwork and write down the attorneys who are handling the foreclosures for the plaintifs. One law firm had a slew of them but they didn't want my business. They only work for lenders. Move onto the next one who also had a lot of foreclosures and hit paydirt. Called them up and asked for a price on an un contested foreclosure of a land contract. They called me back and siad they would do it for $800 plus the court costs (would have to pay court costs no matter who handles it). Gee that seems pretty good to me so I go over there. It was a real busy office but the main partner met with me, a woman and we got to talking and it ended up that she will do the foreclosure for olvie oil :D. Every year for the next couple years I come back to the states I have to bring her 5 liters of olive oil until the bill is paid off. hey a silver lining in a dark cloud.

No longer having our farm payment be guaranteed is one thing but the guy left us with $14,000 in delinquent real estate taxes, $2,000 in delinquent sewere bills and cough cough $15,000 in unpaid sales tax. Now you would think the unpaid sales tax would not be our issue right? However the great state of Wisconsin has a clever way of collection. They simply won't issue a new seller permit at the business address until somebody pays the delinquency, which will end up being us. PLUS in december we will have to pay our mill which will be about $12,000 and of course the nices and nephews who help us with the harvest. We have a condo in Cannes we don't owe anything on, we don't owe anything on the restaurant either thank God, so we put that up for sale also. Darn! We do love that condo but who knows how long it will be until the restaurant sells. Oh did I forget to mention we are also putting on a new roof. When I went there the guy was just collecting rainwater in buckets fromt he office upstairs when it rained, cha-ching add another $8,200. Plsut he plumber bill whihc si expect to be around $3,000 to $4,000 to blow out all the pipes change otu the faucet in the bar sink, change some kind of cartridge in the urinal. I was there with the plumbers and they had 2 guys on the job half a day and were not close to being done. I am sure they have 2 full days of at least 2 plumbers working so that is going to be a big bill.

Well anyway at least I have some satisfaction knowing I found an attorney who will work off her bill in olive oil. We may not have much and trust me right now it is all flying out the window but at least we do have olvie oil.

/ Attorney will work for olive oil #2  
Your having a tough time right now but keep focused, keep a positive outlook and you may be surprised when its all over, this is a type of test for people that own property and farm and ranch.
I have rental properties and have been bitten more than once but in the end have come out of it and moved on.
In a couple of years you'll look back and be all the stronger.

/ Attorney will work for olive oil #3  
Rox-
Sorry to hear the BAD news Good luck on getting back on your feet and next time your talking to your attorneys check out if you can recover from the previous buyer all the bills he left. Not a lawyer, but there has to be a way to recover those expenses -Ed

/ Attorney will work for olive oil #4  
The resturant business in Michigan is really hurting. Several local spots have closed. One friend with a Mexican resturant told me that business is off 45%. I hope you can get this resolved.

/ Attorney will work for olive oil #6  
My grandmother tried to sell three houses on land contract back in the 80's. She got one of them back after a few years and another one she got back three times before it finally ended. Anyhow, she did get all of her money and even more than she expected in the long run, but it just took a lot longer than she expected. :rolleyes:

Things will work out for you, too. It just takes some time. ;);)

/ Attorney will work for olive oil #7  
Hi Rox,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. For most people, I'm sure this would be overwhelming, but reading your post and how you have it organized, I'm impressed with your business skills and can do attitude. You are a very impressive women, and I admire the way you go after a problem. I have no doubt that you will get through this, if anybody can, you can!!!

Good Luck,
Eddie

/ Attorney will work for olive oil #8  
Take it one day at a time.

Looks like your already on the trek to recovery.

Look at the bright side, you found out about it and seem to have it under control, thus far.

/ Attorney will work for olive oil #9  
Now you would think the unpaid sales tax would not be our issue right? However the great state of Wisconsin has a clever way of collection. They simply won't issue a new seller permit at the business address until somebody pays the delinquency, which will end up being us.

This sort of tactic just infuriates me. I understand the feds do the same thing to farmers who hire farm labor contractors that fail to make their SS payments.

It essentially forces the property owner to underwrite the government's tax system, even though the owner was not the one who failed to meet his obligations to the government. In a lot of cases, it simply further victimizes a citizen that has already been defrauded by an unscrupulous business person.

Last edited:
   / Attorney will work for olive oil #10  
Rox, it seems there has to be a way to go after this guy to pay his debts. I'm sure he has no money but maybe you can file a lien or something against him.