generlink, anyone used one?

/ generlink, anyone used one? #11  
I have to go outside and turn off the main, then lock the box for safety.
I know it's not the best but my set up is still a work in progress, eventually will get the 200 amp double pole switch.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #12  
I just had this switch installed. Our electric company does it as part of their services available to the publc. They provide the equipment, the gencord and one of their electricians to install. Cost was $1000 for a generator up to 7500 watts. Higher wattage switches are available but a little more expensive. It took minutes to install, he hooked up the switch to my generator, tested it for about 20 minutes and then tore it all down and had me do hookup so I'd know what to do.

Not sure if this matters to anyone reading this (women or men with wives that might have to do it if they are gone) but I am an over 55 y/o female and this setup is very easy to understand and configure. He explained loads and told me what combos of circuits I could use with my particular generator and what specific circuits I can't use (electric stove, washer, dryer, central A/C). I've not had a major storm but the electric went out for about 45 minutes the other day so I hauled out the generator and tested it to make sure I'd know what to do in another major snowstorm or long period w/o electricity. I hope I never have to use this but if I do I think I am ready!

/ generlink, anyone used one? #13  
I've used one for six years. Our utility (Pepco) put it in. We can't/don't own it, but there was no up-front cost and it's $9.95 a month (for the rest of our lives). The Generlink gets a lot of use. We're in the city (NW DC) and have frequent power outages of significant duration--1 to 6 days, 2-3 times a year or more. (Above-ground lines, 100-year-old trees at the end of a 100-year-lifespan, old cobbled-together grid etc).

Six years, works perfectly every single time, safe for the linemen, safe for me, no-brainer to use.

I made up my own 50-foot cord with L-20 and L-30 ends. 6+ kw Coleman Powermate. Last week's (Jan. 2011) heavy snows tore the city up. Our street was without power for 3 and 1/2 days, and some of the neighborhood is still powerless and it's been six days.

Every single time the power goes out I resume my place on the pedestal as a hero to my wife and kids. In the dark, in five minutes, the cord gets unrolled and plugged in, and I pull-start the generator.

It could be 3:00 am and the Generlink keeps me from screwing up and electrocuting myself. Being suspicious of this thing is like being suspicious of penicillin, and any other method of feeding power into your house is dangerous to you and the guys working on the lines.

You don't have to go near your panel, or flip anything, or think of anything, you just plug it in and start your generator.

The guy who invented this should get a medal.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #14  
   / generlink, anyone used one? #15  
So that is $120 a year, or $2400 over 20 years. You can have a transfer switch installed (or do it your self) for a fraction of this cost. I think the utility company has hit on a great money making idea.

Gentran Corporation: Generator Transfer switches for home & business

Generator InterLock Kit - General Electric Kits

I just noticed that Northern Tools and Amazon have the Generlink 30 amp model for $699 and the 50 amp model for $849. Of course you need to check with your power company anytime you install something between the meter and the meter box to be sure they approve.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #16  
I just noticed that Northern Tools and Amazon have the Generlink 30 amp model for $699 and the 50 amp model for $849. Of course you need to check with your power company anytime you install something between the meter and the meter box to be sure they approve.

And how much do you think it actually costs to make a Generlink? My guess is $50 tops, less if off shored.

I suspect the utility companies are taking advantage here.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #17  
And how much do you think it actually costs to make a Generlink? My guess is $50 tops, less if off shored.

I suspect the utility companies are taking advantage here.

Well, it's never about what it costs to make, is it? They don't sell these things at the dollar store. Like a 200 amp Square-D breaker box that only has one breaker in it and an insulated bus bar in a stamped out case for $225. It ain't what it takes to make it, it's what it takes to buy it. ;) but I hear you. . . :thumbsup:

/ generlink, anyone used one? #18  
Well, it's never about what it costs to make, is it? They don't sell these things at the dollar store. Like a 200 amp Square-D breaker box that only has one breaker in it and an insulated bus bar in a stamped out case for $225. It ain't what it takes to make it, it's what it takes to buy it. ;) but I hear you. . . :thumbsup:

Exactly and that's why I referenced two much cheaper options in my first post above.

Charging only $X a month is an old utility company scam. I recall when the telephone company used to "rent" you your phone and over the decades you paid enough rent at a dollar or two a month to buy the phone many times over.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #19  
I had one put in November by the local rural electric. Price installed by them was about the same as Northern Tool. No monthly fees.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #20  
... Of course you need to check with your power company anytime you install something between the meter and the meter box to be sure they approve.

In our neighborhood (Frederick County, MD) you need both power company assistance and an electrical permit and inspection - since there is a ground wire that needs to be connected inside the meter housing. Makes it a bit more expensive to implement. However, in my case it remains the least expensive method.
Mike