generlink, anyone used one?

/ generlink, anyone used one? #21  
Same deal as MikeInEburg, I'm in Washington Co, MD. called Allegany Power today and was advised they had no home generator program. I needed their inspection and power cut-off, a Licensed Electrician to install, their second inspection and if they approve, they turn the power back on. For years I have been using a pigtail out of the 200 amp breaker box. I shut off the main breaker, shut off all breakers, hook up the Gen line and start the generator, then flip the pre-marked breakers I want to activate. This system has worked well for many years, will probably stick with it.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #22  
..........For years I have been using a pigtail out of the 200 amp breaker box. I shut off the main breaker, shut off all breakers, hook up the Gen line and start the generator, then flip the pre-marked breakers I want to activate. This system has worked well for many years, will probably stick with it.

Uh oh. Duck!

/ generlink, anyone used one? #23  
Three more points:

1) Generlink is an automatic transfer switch. AUTOMATIC. That means you don't need to throw switches and breakers. You just plug it in. Now, all guys (from the bright to the dim) can throw switches, even during a hellacious thunderstorm or snowstorm, even at 3:00 am, even after a few beers, even after an argument with your wife, or a come-to-God conversation with your kids, or after looking at the bills and muttering to yourself, or after your team loses in the last second, or after ... etc etc

But do you trust EVERY SINGLE ONE of your neighbors to be able to throw the proper switches and breakers FIRST, before starting the generator, every single time the power goes out? How about the neighbor down the street who drinks too much or still smokes pot?

One single failure by one single neighbor out of how many thousands on your power grid results in sending lethal juice back out in the system where the lineman is working.

So ... now how do you want to run this thing for EVERYONE on your grid--manual, or automatic?

2) Assuming you're awake and smelling the coffee and choosing AUTOMATIC, in an apples-to-apples cost comparison, price out the labor and materials for installing an automatic transfer switch BETWEEN the meter and the existing service. You could do it yourself, and work on a hot 200 amp feed or call the power company to cut it off while you do it, but then you'd still need to know how to insert a transfer switch in an 18-inch length of wire with the diameter of an ax handle.

I'd say estimate a MINIMUM of $1,000 when all is said and done. It's probably closer to $1,500 or $2,000 for a proper job.

3) Do an apples-to-apples comparison of what $10 a month gets you. To put it more clearly: would you rather have $1,000 now or $10 a month for 8-9 years? Would you rather have $1,000 now or $10 a month for 20 years?

If you'd rather have the $1,000 now, then you'd rather PAY the $10 a month, right?

(And, yes, I remember the phone company renting you your phones. So?) (And, honestly, who wouldn't go back to those days before voicemail and cellphones etc. I mean, seriously, are we better off now, phone-wise? Has this phone/email/text/twitter business improved our lives? Come on ... ) (I do like touch-tone better than dial though.)

4) I don't care if the thing costs $50 to make. I don't care if it costs $1 to make. The truth is that EVERYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF costs $1 to make if you make enough of them and you make it in China.

My take is that I'm lucky my power company wants only $10 a month for an automatic transfer switch. They are doing it because THEY make money at $10 a month AND it keeps their linemen alive.

And, yes, I know that's four points, not three. The fourth one is free.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #25  
I say if you want to pay $10 a month forever for a Generlink, go right ahead. In fact, it is such a great deal, kick in another $5 a month just so you don't feel guilty for cheating the electric company. :thumbsup:

/ generlink, anyone used one? #26  
Used last week here for 1 1/2 days with my 7000 watt generator - performed great. Our rural electric coop provides/installs the switch for $1000. That cost is for switch, a 30 amp cable, install and the inspection b/c our electric company are inspectors for all transfer switches no matter who does the install. It was tested with my generator and he wrote down for me what circuits I can use based on my watt generator and house configuration and what would overload generator.

Cost was broken down over five months, $200 added to monthly bill, interest free. Liked that it involved no cutting into drywall, etc. Someone already mentioned it is portable - they will remove it for me to take to another home if I move after veryifying that a new locale would approve install of this type switch. I agree it was expensive but, for me, like that I have use of more than 10 circuits I'd have otherwise with the type where you had to wire into a subpanel and its so simple for me (female) to connect and get our house up and running.

Last edited:
   / generlink, anyone used one? #27  
Howdy,

Same here. I had one installed by the local electric last week. Took about 10 minutes if that. Finished garage with 200 amp service panel full of breakers. I did not want to cut into the sheetrock and install a sub generator panel. (limits what you want on anyway) The generlink unit is by far the best and simplest solution. You still need to use your head and not try to run everything in your house. But with a simple straight forward connection, and mind your breakers, (electric hot water off, everything else on) You want hot water... all off and heat up your water. The absolutely largest draw I have will be 300ft well pump, and 80 gallon hot water heater. Lights add up to nothing...

Another aspect is
Rappahannock Electric Coop is the utility here. Since they are the utility, they have a permanent permit, They install it. Done. choice of payment = (one bill, spread out bill etc...) :thumbsup:

Transfer switch = electrician, electric permit, transfer switch, installation, still have to call utility to pop meter (pay them$$) electric inspection, by the time your done, your at the same or more price point.

later
mike

/ generlink, anyone used one? #28  
Howdy,

Same here. I had one installed by the local electric last week. Took about 10 minutes if that. Finished garage with 200 amp service panel full of breakers. I did not want to cut into the sheetrock and install a sub generator panel. (limits what you want on anyway) The generlink unit is by far the best and simplest solution. You still need to use your head and not try to run everything in your house. But with a simple straight forward connection, and mind your breakers, (electric hot water off, everything else on) You want hot water... all off and heat up your water. The absolutely largest draw I have will be 300ft well pump, and 80 gallon hot water heater. Lights add up to nothing...

Another aspect is
Rappahannock Electric Coop is the utility here. Since they are the utility, they have a permanent permit, They install it. Done. choice of payment = (one bill, spread out bill etc...) :thumbsup:

Transfer switch = electrician, electric permit, transfer switch, installation, still have to call utility to pop meter (pay them$$) electric inspection, by the time your done, your at the same or more price point.

later
mike
HI _This is an old string but hoping users with Generlink or electrical experience will respond to question. We Live on the Gulf coast - Hurricane land and it has been 10 yrs since Katrina odds are we will see another big blow sooner vs later. I am considering having solar panels/system installed vs. using a portable generator - . I know portable gen is cheaper but getting too old to pull the cord AND I waited in line for 8 hrs to get 4 gal of gas - Solar seems a viable alternative - no shortage of sunlight.
Question: With solar/battery storage - would it be feasable to keep the generlink power cord plugged in permanently to meter on my shop/not my home? I have back up fridge, water, well, etc. for emergencies . My thoughts when solar is producing power generlink would disconnect from grid - when solar loses power - grid would reconnect and assist in recharging batteries. Anyone know if this is possible and is it a good/bad idea?
BTW- This is last year for solar tax credit -

Jose

/ generlink, anyone used one? #30  
I say if you want to pay $10 a month forever for a Generlink, go right ahead. In fact, it is such a great deal, kick in another $5 a month just so you don't feel guilty for cheating the electric company. :thumbsup:

Rent a Generlink ? Who the heck would rent a Generlink when they are $800 plus tax at the parts counter.
Takes almost 5 minutes to install.