Who has a Concealed Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Who has a Concealed Carry? #2  
She certainly is well spoken about a very emotional subject. I wish the video had included the response of the politicians to her very powerful statement - that would showcase the ineptitude of our legislature.

The video ended with the statement (paraphrasing): "The second amendment was established to let us protect ourselves from you guys (i.e. the government.)" No truer words were spoken.

/ Who has a Concealed Carry? #3  
She made a compelling argument which I think helped change the law there, I think that last statement whether true or not was not to smart and would only lead govt to restrict gun rights further.
JB.

/ Who has a Concealed Carry? #4  
I was going to get one when they first became available and then I said to myself, "I have never felt threatened, such that I felt like I wish I had a gun."

There are a lot of hoops to jump thru here in Michigan so I never bothered to get one. Nothing has changed my mine in the last few years that I feel the need to get one.

I feel sorry for those of you who live in areas where they are needed.

/ Who has a Concealed Carry? #5  
I was going to get one when they first became available and then I said to myself, "I have never felt threatened, such that I felt like I wish I had a gun."

There are a lot of hoops to jump thru here in Michigan so I never bothered to get one. Nothing has changed my mine in the last few years that I feel the need to get one.

I feel sorry for those of you who live in areas where they are needed.

I think, for a lot of folks, it is not that we need them... it is that we have the right to have them if we want them. ;) Each little right that is taken away seems small until all of the little rights are gone. Then you have nothing.

/ Who has a Concealed Carry? #6  
I just nenewed my permit to conceal and carry about two months ago and can't agree with her more. I've lived in bad neighborhoods. As a child had to watch my mother show a man her purse was empty. I'm an experienced martial artist now with over 20 years of training. I've trained in Tae Kwon Do, Ju-Jitsu, Hapkido, and Judo and taught Israeli Gun Defense techniques. Even a Black Belt wouldn't help in the situation that Suzanna Gratia-Hupp was in or the man that had to defend his family with an assault rifle during the L.A. riots. Therefore I carry a Ruger semi-automatic that holds 15 rounds and carry another magazine of 15. My wife has a Smith & Wesson Revolver(point and pull simplicity), and we have a few more that we keep in the house. I'm not paranoid. I believe it is my duty to keep myself and those I love safe. I also don't shop in stores that have signs on the doors that do no permit carrying weapons inside. Then only the criminals have weapons.

The second ammendment is not only a right it is a priveledge that must be gaurded and not abused. I've seen people pull out their pistols to show to friends, bragg about carrying and act stupid. Since I don't teach anymore very few people know I'm a martial artist and even fewer know I carry. I figure they'll find out only if I feel it's necessary.

I wish more people would get their conceal carry permits and I also wish all states would reciprocate permits from other states. Crossing state lines is a pain.

Criminals target those that appear weak. If they knew they were more likely to get shot for commiting a crime it would make them less likely to commit the crime they were planning. Gun control only makes it safer for criminals.

Thanks Pappy19 for the link.

/ Who has a Concealed Carry? #8  
I certainly don't blame anyone who wants to get a permit. And I can see good reasons for some people to carry a weapon. But I just can't get too worked up about it. As part of my job, I had to carry one for nearly 25 years. I never shot anyone; never shot at anyone. Now I can carry in any state, if I want to stay qualified. And all I'd have to do is go to the range and qualify once a year. That's certainly easy to do. But I don't do it. Yes, I have loaded guns in my home; have had all my life, but I don't carry one anymore, nor do I want to carry one. It's inconvenient, if not uncomfortable, and what are the odds of needing it? Yep, it can happen that I'll need it some day and not have it. But that's pretty slim odds.

The stories about the times when someone needed his weapon and/or used it are so rare that they are big news so you hear and/or read about each one. And that makes more people think they need a permit. Actually, the number of accidental discharges and accidental injuries far exceed the number of incidents in which a permit holder actually uses his weapon to prevent a crime or protect himself or someone else.

So, yes, if you can qualify for a permit, and you want a permit, go for it. Then please be careful to take good care of the weapon so it stays in good working order, and be careful to avoid accidents.

/ Who has a Concealed Carry? #9  
Both my wife and I have permits (Georgia Firearms license) which permit carrying concealed or openly in most places barring govt. building, churches, schools, and bars(over 51% revenue from alcohol). Neither of us really feel that we NEED them per say, but like Moss Road we enjoy the right.

Though I rarely carry my firearm openly the reactions still amaze me. There was a time in our history when everyone carried a firearm, there is actually still a city, Kennesaw, GA, which has a law requiring heads of household to own a gun and ammunition for it. Yet if your at Wal-Mart and a soccer mom spots your piece there is a good probability now of wearing handcuffs for a while even though you didn't break a law.

I look at a firearm like a seat belt or ROPS, you hope you never use it but if the time comes it could very well save your life.

/ Who has a Concealed Carry? #10  
I look at a firearm like a seat belt or ROPS, you hope you never use it but if the time comes it could very well save your life.

I agree, but . . . first off, statistically speaking, you're much, much more likely to need or use the seat belt or ROPS than the firearm. And secondly, there's a much, much less chance of you accidentally hurting yourself or someone else with the seat belt or ROPS than with the firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.