Need photo help

/ Need photo help #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
When I looked at the FAQ for posting photos, it gave a maximum width. I have a few pics I'd like to post, but a couple are almost twice as wide as specified. Is there a way to redo them so they can be posted?

Thanks...............chim

/ Need photo help #2  
If you download Irfanview</font color=red>, you can use the IMAGE-RESIZE/RESAMPLE tool to modify the size of the picture.
This is a free download, by the way...I use it quite frequently.
Click on "Irfanview" above to open that web page...

/ Need photo help #3  
chim,
If you have been using a digital camera, the software that came with that camera should also have the ability to change image size.

/ Need photo help
Roy and Mark, thanks for the info. I recently bought the camera, and can't understand more than about 10% of it at this point. I'll see what I can do. #2 Son understands a lot about computer stuff but he's over at the MIL's farm practicing welding. Thanks again...................chim

/ Need photo help #5  
Roy is right. Irfanview is fast, effecient, and free. It is a great program, and blows most of the low priced photo programs out of the water. Irfanview does not have a "wizard" driven interface though, so perhaps for a novice the software which came bundled with your camera might be a better starting point.

/ Need photo help #6  
"Roy and Mark, thanks for the info. I recently bought the camera, and can't understand more than about 10% of it at this point. I'll see what I can do. #2 Son understands a lot about computer stuff but he's over at the MIL's farm practicing welding.'

With the digital camera, I always prefer to take the highest quality (resolution) I can.
I can always resize/resample the pic and save as another filename so I have the original. However, trying to resize/resample "up" (to a higher resolution) is not normally successful.
Downside of a high resolution picture is the size in kilobytes.
The original size of the attached pic was <font color=blue>1023x628 (123Kb)</font color=blue>. The attached pic is <font color=green>640x480 (41Kb)</font color=green>.
The size limitations on TBN is 200Kb, so both pics would have posted...in this case. However, we don't want to use all TBN's bandwidth, do we?
However, this is an example of resizing/resampling, and the resultant changes in Kilobytes.
If you pic size is >200kb, you'll get the error message when you try to post.

BTW, this is a pic of my dogs, Jule (standing) and Spencer (lying down...normal position for that ol dawg!)

Attachments

• 6-147256-JuleA.jpg
    6-147256-JuleA.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 62
   / Need photo help
Roy, thanks for the help. Give the pups a scratch behind the ear for me. After downloading from the site you referenced, I discovered that there was at least one program on the 'puter that would do it, mebbe more. I just didn't know what I was looking for.

I bought an Olympus C3020 Zoom about 6 weeks ago, and have been enjoying it a lot. Pictures taken were mostly at high school track meets. Someone else is turning my pics and some others into a Powerpoint show for the banquet at the end of the season.................chim

/ Need photo help #8  
"I bought an Olympus C3020 Zoom about 6 weeks ago"

Those Olympus cameras are nice and produce extremely good pictures..
Ours is a Sony FD-85 or FD-90. I bought this camera for work usage mostly (graphical work instructions). I liked the Sony for two reasons:
It uses a floppy diskette for storage media, so you can dump to any computer with no adapters or cables,
The battery cell lasts up to 3 hours.

However, the Sony's pic quality isn't up to some of the other cameras (including the Olympus).

If you print any of your pics, I do suggest you use a photo quality paper (glossy or matte), if your printer is up to the task. Ours wasn't so, based upon results I'd gotten a work, we bought an HP 952 printer. I use HP Photo quality paper exclusively.
But printing pictures uses a lot of ink!! We don't print too many of them.

Enjoy your camera! Suggest you get a UV filter (called "skylight filter, I think) to protect your Olympus's lense. Skylight filters are pretty cheap.

/ Need photo help #9  
I am running an Olympus C2100 UZ. It is only 2.1 Megapixel but it gives me a 10X optical and 2.7 digital zoom capability.
The highest setting on this camera takes a picture in the TIFF mode and it results in a picture of an average of 5 MB. So ! most all of my pictures are taken one level below the highest setting (Jpeg) which still gives me a resolution of 1600 x 1200 but of an average of only 1 MB per picture.
In Tiff mode, I can get 11 pictures on a 64 MB Smart Media card. In SHQ mode, I can get 45 pictures, in HQ mode it goes up to 128 pics and in SQ it is a whopping 664 pictures on a 64 MB card but the resolution drops down to 640 x 480.
All in All, it wasn't a cheap camera, $615 with S + H, but I am Extremely happy with it.
My Canon AE1 hasn't been used in a long time and probably won't.

/ Need photo help
Roy, I really like the camera. We have a couple of them at work that were bought after one of our people did a fair amount of research. The "company cameras" have what looks like a floppy that the Smartmedia memory cards plug into for downloading. With the camera set at high quality, these 128MB cards will hold something around 160 pics. Mine came with a cable that plugs into the bus on the computer.

On the advice of one of the gurus at work, I did get two sets of NiMH 1800mAh AA batteries and a charger. Yesterday the camera was turned on most of the day and took about 60 photos. The set of four AA batteries still show good. It seems like the batteries go faster when turning the camera on and off because of the power it takes to drive the motorized lens. The LCD screen was off, except for the couple of second preview after each shot. One thing I did notice is the batteries decide they need swapped all of a sudden.

Our HP 880C isn't up to the printing tasks. Guess we're in for an upgrade there. I'll follow up on the filter. Sure would hate to mess up the lens. Thanks....................chim