Forum Definition

/ Forum Definition #21  
Re: Forum Definition--Yuck, and a Suggestion

Harv - <font color=blue>It is unlikely that you personally will ever get moderated or censored here, 'cuz no moderator will ever be sure what it is they are censoring.</font color=blue> On the other hand, perhaps every one of Glennmac's posts could be censored on the basis that nobody could ever prove it shouldn't have been! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Forum Definition #22  

I thought I would reply from the "Twilight Zone". I am not as eloquent as you, being mind snatched, addicted and such, so please be patient. The point I was so poorly trying to get across was, that my family does frequent this site. I would like it to continue to be a site that does not need parental control and a site that could be recomended to other families. Being a highly intelligent person and a trained litigator, I am sure you can make me out to look like a trained monkey or maybe that is an untrained monkey/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. My point was not to make you angry or cause you to be vindictive, it was just simple debate! I speak from the harsh teacher of experience about mans savagery and deal with it too often. You must not be in criminal law or you would know what I am talking about! I must agree with you about some of the columns being repetitive and mundane, but every one here was a new tractor owner and inexperienced at one time. They come here, as I, because of the lack of vulgarities, heated arguments and political talk, to learn about tractors. I will bow out of this discussion and leave the podium to you, I wish you well Glennmac!

/ Forum Definition #23  

Glen,
did you put in your order for Ann's new book yet? .... looks like it's going to put DanRatherPeterJenningsTomBrokow in their place rather well. Hey, I didn't know anyone besides me read Coulter, Goldberg and Krauthammer.

Just for the record, I'd just as soon not get too political ... or politically correct here on TBN. I used to enjoy jousting on another website - political - and it's gotten so worried about this whole issue that one is not even allowed to refer to another poster by name (or nom de guerre) in a post. We certainly don't want to go there.

It certainly does amaze (and amuse) me how people who seem so close (brand names excepted) on the subject we're really here for, can get so upset when someone has a different view on a non-tractor-related subject.
Anyway ... I'm for anything that will allow us to continue to enjoy our host's largesse ... since someday I'm going to be able to actually abuse my tractor.

/ Forum Definition #24  

On the topic of news anchors...it amazes me that the network news anchors seem to be taking credit for creating the news! I remember watching the BBC news while deployed overseas and how the person presenting the news always signed on with the phrase, "This is the nightly news, read by" whoever. They, unlike their American counterparts, were simply presenting facts...or at least a more balanced view of things. Dan and his sensationalistic view of things is so fundamentally junior high school I've quit watching mainstream news programs!

Pete

/ Forum Definition #25  
I am a very strong believer in personal freedoms and judging from most of the comments I've seen posted, I think most of the forum participants share that belief. That means we all have a right to our views and opinions no matter how far fetched some of them may be (of course that's also a matter of opinion). Althougth I sometimes disagree with others' opinions, I don't get offended by hearing another viewpoint and I expect the same in return.

I myself have a lot of fun debating issues, including those of the political variety. It's also amusing to occasionally (okay always fun) poke fun at politics as well. A good nonconfrontational debate is a good thing in that it is the way that we all learn from each other and fine tune our viewpoints.

What I'm getting at with all this is that I hate to see a forum edited at any time because it takes away from my ability to read all the comments and decide for myself what I believe or don't believe. Isn't that part of the right to free speach? Note also that Webster's defines forum as "A public meeting place for open discussion." Well, its not open if it's edited.

Now I do believe that some rules can apply, such as no profanity, name calling of other forum participants, etc.

That's my two cents (maybe more or less).

Thanks, Mark B.

/ Forum Definition #26  
Unfortunately, Mark, it seems the constructive debates always get highjacked by the hotheads who use inflammatory words like idiot, moron, etc. I really don't like seeing my virtual friends addressed like that and, personally, would rather just have those posts nuked.

Muhammad has some very simple rules for us to follow; if they can't be followed I feel he has the right to edit, moderate, censor, or whatever you want to call it. The original post that led to this thread set a tone of condemnation and judgementalism, so it got off to a very bad start.

I keep hoping we'll learn to play by the rules, but it'll probably be a very long wait when it comes to religion and politics. My golden rule to not start topics -- or start them in a way -- that might offend a visitor in my home that I like a lot, but whose views differ strongly from my own.

Pete

/ Forum Definition #27  
I guess I disagree with too much control. People are just too sensitive these days. If people want to joke about politicians and movie stars, I say let them. I’m pretty much of an introvert at work because I’m afraid I’ll get fired for making a harmless joke. I don’t see anything wrong with making wise cracks about politicians – what else are they good for?

/ Forum Definition #28  
I just love this place! Isn't it interesting that comments about forum decorum evolve into a relevant, tangible debate about issues that technically may not be Off Topic and Just for Fun, but in essence become so precisely because members are allowed to voice opinions. PC doesn't work because it limits the depth and breadth of human experience. Let me clarify a bit; I do NOT want TBN to lose its family friendly status. At the same time, it's important for members to express themselves without worrying about dancing on the head of a pin. I may have quoted Noel Coward before, if so, please bear with me: "Life is too important to be taken seriously." This is of course a paradox - we all know that life is serious, so let's allow ourselves, within appropriate limits, to express thoughts, feelings, and values. I trust members to accept or reject my views on everything I post, just as I reserve that right. But, I've had great debate with those with whom I disagree and respect them more for the encounter.

Can we separate the love of the land, the fascination with tractors and implements, computers, digital cameras, ticks, mosquitos, deer repellant, washers and dryers, and (dare I say politics) from one another? I think not... Oh, well, as others have said, "just my two cents."

One more thing; this is the greatest site I've found - had to add that!

Bill

/ Forum Definition #29  

Wingnut, ..... I think Krauthammer is the best columnist going. Both in terms of his viewpoints and his angelic use of the English language. (Hah!, snuck religion into this thread.) He articulates well the obvious solution to the never-ending Middle East dilemma: in my words, one guy has to throw the other out of the saloon. (Heehee, politics.) Coulter is a great bomb thrower and a babe. (OMG, sex.) I read both Goldbergs from time to time. Also like Andrew Sullivan--very intellectual.... I think Garagesmokers experience is what would happen if TBN had an unmoderated free-for-all forum: it would have little or no participation, and the sky would not fall.

/ Forum Definition #30  

I'm really enjoying the pummelling Ann is giving all the leftie media right now ... since there has always been strict denial that there's any bias on the networks. (Yeah, right, Jennings was too left wing even for Canada ... and they're unbiased.)
I would agree with you on Krauthammer as far as politics go ... but I tend to like Debbie Weiss and Brent Bozell for reviews of what the media is saying (incorrectly) and Goldberg for his off-the-wall but right-on views.
It's certainly wonderful that it's acceptable to be a "small c" conservative again.
I agree with you, also, on the moderation. We're all pretty well grown up here ... even though I tend to speak my mind instead of being wishy-washy ... but I've always seen that when a "discussion" gets out of hand .. it's self moderated ... we all stop responding and the flames have no fuel.
Oh well ... back to the salt mine ...