Ice melter and new concrete drive

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #1  

WBWI

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
We got hit with freezing rain on Saturday night and my new concrete driveway is coated with about 1/8" of ice. From everything I've read you should NOT use salt on new concrete. Does anyone have experience or suggestions on a concrete safe ice melting product? I put down 600# of sand but barely scratched the surface of how much I would need to treat the whole driveway.
This area of the drive is the worst with a 90 degree turn. It drops about 12' in this area
IMG_0227.jpg

PC020122.jpg

The forecast is for light snow on Tuesday or Wednesday and temps are supposed to stay below freezing. If I don't find a solution I may not be able to use the driveway until spring :eek:

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #2  
Don't use fertilizer regardless of the age of the concrete. In our old city house we had a bad ice or snow storm which left the driveway and sidewalk covered in ice. The wifey was prego with our second daughter so the ice had to go. I had heard fertilizer would remove the ice and I had some an open bag in the garage so it went on the ice.

It removed the ice. Which made it safe for the wife to get to the car.

It also removed the smooth top layer of concrete. :eek:

Well worth it to keep the wife and kid safe. :D

But you might not want to do this on that fortune you drive on. :D:D:D

You have a very pretty driveway.

Later,
Dan

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #3  
The salt itself does not hurt the concrete, it is the constant freezing and thawing that salt causes. After the first year, you will be fine using salt but I recommend an ice melter that does not contain sodium chloride instead. For this year, just use sand that does not contain salt. You can usually get it from your local aggregates or town highway department.

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #4  
kitty litter works good as well

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive
I joked wih my wife that I should have a load of sand delivered so I could spread it but I'm not sure I could even get my 'bota to the bottom of the drive safely. :(

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive
How about ashes? Are your neighbors wood burners?

I have a woodburning fireplace and used ashes last year on the gravel drive. I wasn't sure what it would do (if anything) to concrete once the ice started to melt.

/ Ice melter and new concrete drive #10  
wood ash - messy, but works good once the sun comes out.