Helpful trick using cell phone

/ Helpful trick using cell phone #1  

JB4310

Tractor
J.D. 4310 E-hydro
I get these annoying pass it on e-mails from my mother and others, never passed one of them on but this is good to know.
It was about 5 helpful tips for cell phone users one was about dialing (free411) so you don't have to pay for 411 help, I knew that already and it does work, just slow.
The next was something about how to get reserve battery power after your phone shuts down due to low battery, tried that and nothing happened, another tip was about keeping track of the phones serial number, don't care about that. Another was about some other emergency number to dial that's supposed to work anywhere, tried it and nothing happend either.

So the last one sounded to good to be true, If your locked out of your car just call home to where there is an extra key fob and have someone push the unlock button close to the phone while your next to the car with the cell phone. Felt kinda of stupid outside in the cold in my slippers holding the phone close to the door but in preliminary testing with the 04 grand Cherokee it seems to work, only did this on my own property but the car was out of range from working with just the key, they say distance does not matter.

It could save alot of trouble for someone who gets locked out and save a lot of time. Anyone else heard of this.

JB.

/ Helpful trick using cell phone #3  
Yep, heard of it, it doesn't work. If you observed it working, then you were still in range for your key fob to transmit to your vehicle.

They even tested it on Mythbusters, for whatever that's worth. Every single person I know that has tried it said it didn't work, myself included, almost ashamed to say.

/ Helpful trick using cell phone
OK. I guess I've been duped, I did check that site that WBWI linked to, just looked quick but at least one guy claiming to be in the cell phone business said it did work.

I'll be the jerk and try it again to be sure and report back.

Sorry everyone, thought I had something good to share, now I'll never even open one of those stupid "pass it on" e-mails!!!

JB.

/ Helpful trick using cell phone #5  
Phones only transmit a very limited frequency range. Just enough to communicate by voice. That's the reason that you can listen to fax machines and computers as they handshake. So, if you can't hear it, it's safe to say that it can't be transmitted by phone.

/ Helpful trick using cell phone #6  
OK. I guess I've been duped, I did check that site that WBWI linked to, just looked quick but at least one guy claiming to be in the cell phone business said it did work.

Sorry everyone, thought I had something good to share, now I'll never even open one of those stupid "pass it on" e-mails!!!

JB.

Don't feel bad. You were trying to help folks.

The phone can only re-produce sounds through the speaker, not radio frequencies, which is what the car key fobs use.

If you really need to unlock your door, cut a hole in a tennis ball. Put the hole over the keyhole on your car door to make a tight seal. Slap the tennis ball against the lock as hard as you can to shoot a jet of compressed air into the keyhole and the door will unlock. It has to work. I saw it on an internet video. :)

/ Helpful trick using cell phone
Yup, just took the wifes caravan to the market and it did not work, I really wanted it to work and was holding the phone close to different parts of the car I feel extra dumb now!!!

One odd thing, the alarm did go off a couple of times as I was trying different things but it may have just been me opening the door at the wrong time.

So I know they don't work like TV remotes with light, does anyone know do these things work, by radio freq or sound freq? if radio then of course they couldn't work beyond their transmission range unless you had a repeater. But I guess that wouldn't work any way if what Tig says is true, that only perceivable sounds or tones can be transmitted.

EDIT: I see while I was typing MossRoad replied with the answer, radio freq. Thanks,
JB,

/ Helpful trick using cell phone #9  
Yup, just took the wifes caravan to the market and it did not work, I really wanted it to work and was holding the phone close to different parts of the car I feel extra dumb now!!!

One odd thing, the alarm did go off a couple of times as I was trying different things but it may have just been me opening the door at the wrong time.

So I know they don't work like TV remotes with light, does anyone know do these things work, by radio freq or sound freq? if radio then of course they couldn't work beyond their transmission range unless you had a repeater. But I guess that wouldn't work any way if what Tig says is true, that only perceivable sounds or tones can be transmitted.

EDIT: I see while I was typing MossRoad replied with the answer, radio freq. Thanks,
JB,

Hey, sometimes you just have to try stuff for your self. Nothing wrong with that. It helps the learning process. Good experiment, lab work and documentation by you, in my opinion. :)

/ Helpful trick using cell phone #10  

JB.

Was that the same guy that recommended placing magnets around fuel lines to orient the ions in the fuel to travel in a more uniform manner?

Does everybody know that FOB , in relation to security systems, stands for Finger Operated Buttons.

Last edited: