Any one had a nose job..?

/ Any one had a nose job..? #11  
If you call deviated septum repaired a nose job then I had one quite a few years ago.

I compared sucking though a swizzle stick before and a jumbo milkshake straw as after. It did cut out a lot of sinus infections too.

I did have a little trouble convincing the insurance co it was needed and not cosmetic in nature.

Pain wasn't that bad one trick fill a latex glove fingers with crushed ice and lay the filled fingers down along side your nose just tape the palm to your far head.

tom

/ Any one had a nose job..? #12  
I had my nose re-constructed when I was 19 YO, 10 years ago after a bull riding accident. They told me that I would have problems later in life if I didn't do it then. The pain of surgery was not bad. The worst part of it was the doctor pulling the splints out 3 weeks later, hurt bad. The only advice I can offer is to stay away from anything with fine particles in the air. I did some wood work with the splints in my nose and smelt saw dust for a while until the splints were pulled.

/ Any one had a nose job..? #13  
I had the divider removed years ago - I was 30 back than - to help with the breathing.

They actually wanted to do it with me sitting on stool with my back to the wall. Local pain killer - first time in my life I passed out. Checht! They had to work really hard to get me up again and I was only 90 kilos back than. They finished the job on a table as it should be after all. I don't remember having any problems or pains healing.

/ Any one had a nose job..? #14  
D7,

I had a nasal septal reconstruction done when I was 20 to open up the airway and it did not hurt a bit (and I'm a BIG wussy when it comes to pain).

They used some flexible rubber finger like dealies stuck up the nose to act as splints, and taking them out didn't hurt either (surprised me, I thought it would).

My only regret is that they didn't take out enough cartilage and I still don't breathe well out of that side.

Best of luck and breathe easy.

/ Any one had a nose job..? #15  
interesting thread...

i've never been able to breathe out both sides of my nose, as long as i can remember.....

my family dr. told me to force water up my nose with my hand, when i'm in the shower....it helps, but very little.......he prescribed me some pills that dry out the mucus (sp??) but that completely drys me out and once the pill wears off, it comes back with a vengeance, almost like i've dammed it up and then release it...

my wife says i snore extremely loud......heck, my buddies and i wen to the dunes to atv ride this past summer and they were all talking about how badly one of the buddies snored.....they laughed and laughed (this was my first trip to the dunes with them), the first night we slept in the 4 door truck......just about all of them said my snoring was sooooo bad that they went and slept in the trailer with the atvs and it was down in the 30's that night!:eek:

i've just dealt with it for my entire life, but lately, it's MUCH worse......i pretty much can't breathe at all.....i cough up so much stuff in the mornings that i drive with my window down so i can spit......it, often times gags me until i throw up....

i'm a scaredy pants too.....a buddy of mine had the surgery done and seemed so-so about it, i asked him if he'd do it again and he said most certainly so it must have helped more than the says......he said it didn't really hurt until he go up and stirred around- not following the dr.'s orders......he said the blood draining and packing with gals was annoying too.....this was about 12 years ago and he said he really needs it done again.....

we can go in together and hold hands:eek: i had a plantars wart removed from the bottom of my foot and was squirming and bracing myself.....the dr. said am i hurting you....i said no.....he said, you're acting like a 12 year old girl and then proceeded to laugh until he was done:rolleyes:

/ Any one had a nose job..? #16  
After 4 busted noses from boxing/Riding dirt bikes and some colourful weekends as a young man I'm paying the price now as unable to breathe through the nose and spend many nights sleeping upright in an armchair and as i get older it collapses a little more all the time.
Finally after 14 months of waiting got a date for the knife...I'm scared i'll go through a lot of pain for nothing and come out looking like michael jackson.
Any else had the snout rebuilt....?

Oh go get it done aleardy. You know you need it. Sleeping upright in a chair is not a way to live. Look my mother badly needed he knees replaces since she was 70 years old. She's now 80 and her life is severly diminished becasue she jsut would nto go in and do what she knew she should do. Be smarter than my mother will you please?

tomnu56 had a really good suggestion "one trick fill a latex glove fingers with crushed ice and lay the filled fingers down along side your nose just tape the palm to your far head." I laughed when i first read it thinking how comical that would look but then I thought about it and though, hey that's a pretty good idea. I bet that would really work great. Jsut being able to ice it down you know is going to go very very far in reducing pain and swelling. I'm a huge beliver in applying ice to a trauma site. It sure worked when i broke my toe. Jsut one more comment about that. When I broke my toe our son was in boy scouts and he went and got me ice and said, "Mom it is really going to hurt bad at first when you put the ice on it, but just don't take the ice off in a little while it will feel better" He learned that in boy scouts and ws he ever right. it did hurt really really bad when I put the ice on but after a few minutes it really really helped. The ice made it tolerable.

Good luck to you, I wish for you in a short time, a good solid nights sleep.

/ Any one had a nose job..? #17  
After 4 busted noses from boxing/Riding dirt bikes and some colourful weekends as a young man I'm paying the price now as unable to breathe through the nose and spend many nights sleeping upright in an armchair and as i get older it collapses a little more all the time.
Finally after 14 months of waiting got a date for the knife...I'm scared i'll go through a lot of pain for nothing and come out looking like michael jackson.
Any else had the snout rebuilt....?

Hi D7E, We had a talk about our noses a little over a year ago on here.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/related-topics/108591-sinusitis-allergys-worse-doing-what.html
I had my snout done 3 times..once when I was 19, the second time at 35, the last at 49.

About 3 years after the first one I got in a fight with 5 guys the nose was pushed to the side a bit, and any good the deviated septum operation accomplished..was undone.
In the years between the broken nose and the second operation (wanted the nose back where it belonged) I spoke to several ENTs and Plastic Surgeons, was told not to expect good results..but did I listen... NO

I was awake for the whole procedure..well a few valiums and lots of local anesthesia (a real numbscull :D). I had him also cut off some bone from the bridge for a better look, a little off the bottom, reshape the end.(it was too big anyway, now not so much)

The hardest part was when he and a large male nurse placed a long metal rod up the nose and told me to hold on, He whacked the rod with a hammer about eight or nine times until we all heard (and I felt) the bone shatter. Then he grabbed my nose and forced it straight, shoved 3 miles of gauze up there and I was helped up and led out of the room on rubber legs...

I like the way my nose looks now..but a decade or so later I was again plagued with infections (sinusitis) and had to have the inside reconstructed again.:(

This last time I was put under (just like the first time)

It's better, but no way is it perfect. I still get more than my share of sinus problems, but it is better..hope I don't ever have to get a 4th operation ;)

My advice is go for it..as long as you've got a good surgeon..:eek:

/ Any one had a nose job..? #18  
D7E;

Are you saying that you had to wait 14 months to get a nose job surgery? That doc must be an artist or us Yanks must be hearing a different version of the Canadian health care system. Best of luck and good health.

SimS

I dunno what you're hearing, but 14 months is about average wait for almost any non life threatening procedure. That's average, not even the longest wait!!! It can be 2+ years in some parts of Canada.

I'm sure he's a fine surgeon, but we don't really make celeb's of surgeons as is sometimes done in the US. Fame is not synonomous with ability!!!!

Our system is riddled with inefficiencies because it's not run as a business. Although not being a business is also our strength because all are cared for equally. There's good and bad to both systems.

-Jer.

/ Any one had a nose job..? #19  
I need to get my nose reamed out, too, but it's for nasal polyps as much as for a deviated septum. Until I get the nerve up to have it done, I use one of the steroid nasal sprays, which keeps the polyps in line for the most part. I started with Flonase, but that gave me vertigo. Then I got Becanase, and that worked pretty well, but it has amyl alcohol in it, which both stinks and may be neurotoxic, and Becanase isn't on my prescription plan's preferred list and is expensive. So now I'm using Nasocort and it works OK, though not quite as well as Becanase. Anyway, if you put off getting the nose job, you might want to try one of the sprays. Aside from the problem I had with Flonase, which might have been dose dependent, they don't seem to have much in the way of side effects. I use about 1/4 the recommended dosage and my nose is pretty clear. It even prevents the high hop beer from plugging me up. I love the bitter beers, but they used to make my nose plug up the next day like I had cement in there. The wife says it helps with my snoring, too.

Chuck