Using your Blackberry as a modem

/ Using your Blackberry as a modem #1  

Timber

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I recently received a new Blackberry at work the other day. I went from Nextell to the sprint network. It is a Blackberry Curve 8330 with business and High speed data service. I downloaded all the software onto my laptop, read the book & there is a section on using your device as a modem. I had to go to the sprint website, do a free download and upgrade some software. It was real simple to do actually! I just turn my wireless network switch off on my laptop, plug my Blackberry into my USB port with the cable that came with it, click the icon on the desktop & then the connect button. I now have High speed access to the Internet anywhere I have cell phone service. It is very fast, I can VPN into my terminal server & do anything I want on the Internet. The phone service still works while on line. I would imagine the all service providers offer this service.

I know there are many people on TBN that have had issues with Internet service for a variety of reasons. perhaps this may be an alternative for some

Last edited:
   / Using your Blackberry as a modem #2  
Does Sprint charge you for time online or how does it work out cost wise? I have the internet on my phone thru Verizion but I have not been able to use it as a modem that I know of. It is something I would like to do though if I can without having to spend a lot of money.

/ Using your Blackberry as a modem
Well my service is included in the plan, there is no additional cost. I am sure it has to do with the plan you have. I would call version

I was just over at sprint and they told me if it is enabled it is unlimited access. Mine is a business account but it is all about the plan you have. I f I lived with only 1 computer I would consider this as my only phone and Internet access

/ Using your Blackberry as a modem #5  
Does Sprint charge you for time online or how does it work out cost wise? I have the internet on my phone thru Verizion but I have not been able to use it as a modem that I know of. It is something I would like to do though if I can without having to spend a lot of money.

If you get internet over the cell phone, and if it has a USB, sounds like you should be able to call Verizon and ask them to enable data access.

I am on a family plan, the one I use has unlimited voice, txt and data. Comes out to about 55 - 65 a month for my phone. Cannot tell exactly. The billing is pretty wierd.

/ Using your Blackberry as a modem #6  
We have three internet enabled phones, all Motorolla/Sprint/Nextel- ic602, ic902, and original Blackberry. We have used all but the Blackberry as modem's. We also have a Sprint internet card. All of these work great!

Kyle

/ Using your Blackberry as a modem #7  
Sometimes unlimited isnt unlimited, at least in Canada. Theres been several people up here thats had phone bills into the thousands doing exactly what you are. One guy up in Ft Mac bill was over $12K in a month:eek:. Many more have been in the 5-7k range. On alot of these bills "unlimited" was only up to 5GB of data,(not alot if your doing graphic intensive web browsing or downloading) after that 5GB it was billed at a per GB rate.

Yeah, our cell carriers are crooks:rolleyes:. Who doesnt call somebody and inform them of their balance when it reaches $1000 let alone $5k.

After seeing those kind of bills, i'd be darn shore my defination of unlimited jived with the Tel Co.

/ Using your Blackberry as a modem #8  
Sometimes unlimited isnt unlimited, at least in Canada. Theres been several people up here thats had phone bills into the thousands doing exactly what you are. One guy up in Ft Mac bill was over $12K in a month:eek:. Many more have been in the 5-7k range. On alot of these bills "unlimited" was only up to 5GB of data,(not alot if your doing graphic intensive web browsing or downloading) after that 5GB it was billed at a per GB rate.

Yeah, our cell carriers are crooks:rolleyes:. Who doesnt call somebody and inform them of their balance when it reaches $1000 let alone $5k.

After seeing those kind of bills, i'd be darn shore my defination of unlimited jived with the Tel Co.

When I updated to my new phone I asked about the internet service as I pay $5/month for unlimited access. Since I have had the internet on my phone from Verizion for as long as I can remember I was on the old terms still. If I dropped it for any reason and added the internet again I would be limited and have to pay more for it. So even though I wasn't using it much it was cheaper for me to keep paying the $5 per month as if I recall it cost $10/month now with the limit on how much information is exchanged.

I will say this though, when I am online thru my phone it counts towards my monthly allowance of minutes for talking so if I use it too much and go over my minutes I pay for the added time as if it was a phone conversation.

I don't like it when my phone bill gets near $100 let alone seeing a bill for $1k or more.

/ Using your Blackberry as a modem #9  
I can get unlimited internet on my phone for $5.
But if I use my phone as a modem it costs $ .15 / min for "data service"
If I use the phone as a newwork connection to access EVDO high speed the cost is $15/MB. I could use a gig per day when I am working. That would be $15,000

I found this on the net

Sprint Launches the Simply Everything Plan for US$99.99

By Mobilewhack.comon February 28, 2008 11:31 PM | Permalink

SprintNextel_logo_mari-thumb.JPG
After Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and T-Mobile announced their cut rates a few days ago, analysts speculate that Sprint Nextel would make a bold move and undercut everyone else with a US$60 call plan. I wondered how a business which is arguably in the red could keep afloat with that type of call plan, and apparently, Sprint itself thinks so too. Instead of the speculated $60, Sprint Nextel announced its new Simply Everything plan for $99.99. This call plan works for Sprint's CDMA and IDEN networks. And when Sprint says "Simply Everything," it means everything -- unlimited voice, data, text, e-mail, Web-surfing, Sprint TVSM, Sprint Music, GPS Navigation, Direct Connect, and Group Connect. Not a bad move, I say.

Continue reading Sprint Launches the Simply Everything Plan for US$99.99.