Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #1  

PhilNH5

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDCC
Well the price of razor cartridges for my two blade Sensor keep going up. They now cost $1.50 a piece.

A while back I did a little research on the double edge safety razors. This is the type my father used. You unscrewed the handle and the wings opened up like a butterfly. Then you put the little flat razor blade in and away you go.

I was amazed that there are forums dedicated to these razor. But they proved very helpful.

I have always used a mug and a brush for lather so the switch to an old fashioned DE safety razor was not to hard. I ordered one online. The good ones seem to come from Germany. I ordered a Merkur HD classic.

I have been shaving for two weeks now with it. It does take some adjustment. You have to be awake and pay attention. You can cut yourself. I have made it so far nick free but have bled a little simply from shaving to close. It takes 6 minutes to do my whole face with the DE razor. I never timed my self with the cartridge but I think it is twice as long.

The resultant shave is much better than with my old cartridge. Both my wife and daughter agree my face is much smoother.
And the best part. Ten razor blades cost $1.76 at Walmart. That is 18 cents for a week of great shaves.

I recommend the DE safety razors to anyone who wants a great shave, wants to save a little money and thinks that 5 blade cartridges are overkill.

Phil

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #2  
THanks for the recommendation. I too hate buying blades. They're ridiculously overpriced.Funny thing is after my grandfather died, we ended up throwing several of these style razors out. I never gave them much thought. Guess i was cought up in the marketing.:rolleyes: Im going to have a look for them next time im buying blades and might give it a try.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #4  
I stopped shaving for about two years now. Use to wear a beard during the cold season only. Got to a point where during the warm weather a straight razor was used. That my freinds takes skill.

Now I use trac-II's and the cost is crazy. But I only shave my cheeks so I can get about a months worth of time out of them.

Not sure what I'll do in the summer, so your post is informative. Thanks.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #5  
I like to go to yard sales and buy old straight razors. You can make excellent wood carving knifes out of them, very good quality steel.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #6  
I have very light/thin whiskers and just hate the newer disposable razors but have little choice. I tried 3 different electric and they left peach fuzz, and the cheap throwaways skip over any hair over 2 days old. I have a tremor so a straight rasor is out of the question unless I want to invest the money saved into bandaids.
Give me back the old Gillett blue blades-a hint-you can resharpen flat blades by spinning them back and forth inside a regular waterglass-about 5 swipes on each side-get another freee week out of one.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #7  
I stopped shaving for about two years now. Use to wear a beard during the cold season only. Got to a point where during the warm weather a straight razor was used. That my freinds takes skill.

No kidding! That's one thing in my life I gave up on. I tried for a long time to learn to shave with straight razor with no significant results. Always ended up bleeding.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #8  
Since I don't like shaving, I wish I could adapt to wearing a beard, but about 3 days is as long as I can stand going without shaving.:D But I haven't scraped my whiskers off since I was a teenager. Fifty years ago, I had a Schick electric that I liked, but after 20 years or so, I bought a new Remington electric (yeah, fell for the phony TV commercials, I guess). Anyway, I tried 3 different Remingtons and considered them all to be junk. So I finally bought a Norelco that I'm still using. It's been so long since I scraped my face that I'd really be afraid of cutting myself now.:D

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #9  
Those straight razors make me nervous, never tried one though, I think some barbers still use them, never tried the DE razors either, interesting (or not) storey, when I was working on my 70 year old bathroom remodel, I found a bunch of those blades in the wall under the med cabinet, there was a little slot in the cabinet that the old timers use to drop the used blades in, maybe to protect against someone getting injured by them. Don't know if that slot in the cabinet was there on purpose or what, but my plumber told me he had seen that before and is careful when reaching in wall cavities.

Phil, you should look into getting the blades from Germany, since they are known for their premium cutlery, it would probably make the whole experience even better.

I use the triple blade cartridges and they are ridiculously expensive but I don't shave every day, not that I have a light beard, but my lifestyle allows me to look like a Geico caveman half the week. You do get a beautiful shave after going a 3-4 days without though.

JB.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #10  
My wife normally picks up my blades and bless her heart about each time it is different blades so I have about four multi blade razor handles. But the last time she bought the four (?) blade Shick and they have done a great job for me. No idea their price but they last and last and much less likely to nick myself.

I still have my Dad's (bought in the 60's my guess due when he died) and every great once in a while will use it. His allows for you to change the angle the blade is at, right neat. BTW, Gillette is very honest the reason they went to more then two blades was to increase price and profit.