Used steel building

/ Used steel building #1  

John Weaver

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 JD 790
I have an opportunity to buy a 50 foot X 100 foot steel building built in 1976 for about $3000. I will have to move it. I do not know anything about this type of stuff, but the building seems to be in good shape. What are the thoughts from all you guys? How much should I expect to pay to diasaaemble and move? Thanks, John.

/ Used steel building #2  
John,
You are talking about a very complicated and difficult job here! If you are going to pay someone to do this save your money and buy a new one. You are purchasing a building that 27 years old! It was likely nailed with the tin and this is going to be hard to get off and you will ruin some pieces of tin no doubt. You will spend more time disassemebling it than you will putting it up. Plus you need to mark every single piece. If you get it off even one piece nothing else will fit. In all honesty they should just give you the thing. If you were here you would be looking at $8 a square foot to assembe the thing IFFFF it was a new building. I imagine they will bump that up seeing as how it will be like putting a puzzle back together. I would say at a minimum you are going to be looking at that much as well to disassemble it. I would be surprised if you find someone to disassemble and re-assemble for much less than $16 per square foot. You are looking at about $16,000 then and when you are done you still have a 27 year old PLUS building as it is going to take some life out of it taking it down and putting it up. I will ask a couple of the contractors at church this am but I'm pretty sure that would be a minimum of what you would be looking at.

/ Used steel building #3  
I have to agree whole heartedly with Richard. I think that by the time your done, you will have as much $$ into an old possibly now leaky, steel building, as you could buy a nice new warrentied one for.
If you look at some of these Steel building companys websites and prices, you will find prices seem pretty reasonable, and most of the companys will store the building for you FREE for upto a year.

/ Used steel building
Thanks guys. I am concerned about the price to disassemble and reassemble also. The building looks good, steel clear span beams, roll-up door, completely enclosed, etc. Although the siding seems to be attached with a "clip" arrangement, I would consider reinstalling with screws. I will contact some of the metal building suppliers tomorrow to find out who they use for erection and try to get a price. John.

/ Used steel building #5  
John,
Gotta echo the precious sentiments that it will likely be alot more trouble / cost than it is worth. You might also look to see if the frame was initially bolted togther or if it was welded. Having to cut the frame back apart if it was welded could prove to be a pretty darn major hassle.

Perhaps while the contractors are giving you a price for moving the old one, you could have them quote you a price for a new one too. Unless the old one is less than 50% of the price of the new, I would just get the new one.

/ Used steel building
Thanks for the comments. As usual yo guys are correct. I have gotten prices to move the building and reassemble. The total price is over half the price of a new building. I can't justify spending that kind of money on a 20 + year old building with no warranty. Besides, if I buy new, I can get exactly the size I want. Seems like a shame to just see this building destroyed. Thanks for the input. John.