Went to buy a pistol yesterday...

/ Went to buy a pistol yesterday... #1  

Podunkadunk

Veteran Member
The call-in to the FBI NICS system resulted in a "delayed" response:mad:. I've bought a lot of guns over the years and this has never happened. I have a CCW in 2 states and am working on a third. No, I haven't been in any trouble.

My question is: Has anyone else ever experienced this firsthand? If so, did you ever find out the reasoning?

Podunk

/ Went to buy a pistol yesterday... #2  
I haven't bought any guns in several years, but I never got delayed for a purchase after getting my handgun permit. My buddies that didn't have handgun permits often got delayed, especially at gun shows. On occassion, at the suggestion of the sellers, I purchased the guns for them.

Never found out the reason for the delay in any case.

/ Went to buy a pistol yesterday... #3  
I haven't bought any guns in several years, but I never got delayed for a purchase after getting my handgun permit. My buddies that didn't have handgun permits often got delayed, especially at gun shows. On occasion, at the suggestion of the sellers, I purchased the guns for them.

Never found out the reason for the delay in any case.

You probably already know this, but what you're describing is a "straw purchase" and is a violation of federal law. Yes I know that after a few days your friends would probably be approved, but at that point in time, they are prohibited from purchase. On the 4473 you did check the part that says you are the actual purchaser, correct?

/ Went to buy a pistol yesterday... #5  
I was the actual purchaser, paid for them with my own credit card.

As far as I know, private party gun sales are not, or were not at the time, regulated in any way.

/ Went to buy a pistol yesterday...
Keep a look out for a black van with tinted windows parked across the road from your house... :D

Out of curiosity, I googled the following "Delayed Response FBI NICS", and this popped up...

Have a look here :-

Federal Bureau of Investigations - National Instant Criminal Background Check System - Gun Buyer Resolution Guide

Wow. None of that applied to me, with the the exception that there may be a lot of guys out there with the same name as me. But, that shouldn't matter because I gave them my social...identity theft not-withstanding. Pretty spooky stuff though. I've bought (and since sold and donated the money to charity, of course) 5-6 firearms in the last year. ???

Podunk

/ Went to buy a pistol yesterday... #7  
I was the actual purchaser, paid for them with my own credit card.

As far as I know, private party gun sales are not, or were not at the time, regulated in any way.

If you went to the show with the intent of making a purchase that was to be a gift to the other fellow, that's OK. But as soon as he was "delayed" and you bought it because he could not, that's a straw purchase. In fact if the dealer made the suggestion, he's part of the violation!

There are "stings" currently being run by the ATF and other law enforcement agencies. Just be sure that you know what's what.

/ Went to buy a pistol yesterday... #8  
Thats right and I dang sure wouldn't go on a forum and say I did the purchase for a friend thing....we are talking a federal felony crime.....:eek:

/ Went to buy a pistol yesterday... #9  
I think the delay in your case was just a system glitch, system down or overloaded. Never happened to me but when I was in the gun store the other day I overheard them talking about people having to come back the next day cause the approval didn't come thru.

On Saturdays I think they can only get approvals up to noon.

Was yours just a temporary delay or did you have to come back to complete the purchase. What did you get?

JB.

/ Went to buy a pistol yesterday...
JB,
Not sure I understand the question about it being a temporary or did I have to come back....??:confused:

I paid for it, well, all but .01. Said I couldn't legally pay for it in it's entirety until the result came back from the FBI. This happened yesterday. I called twice today to see if approval came back yet, it hadn't. I'll tell ya, it's enough to really get you P.O.'d if you know what I mean!

I KNOW nothing's wrong with my name/record, it has to be the current demand for firearms and record sales/call-ins. I'll be able to go get it tomorrow, hopefully!

1911 Colt Gold Cup Trophy model, .45 ACP. :D

Podunk