Scope suggestions

/ Scope suggestions #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Up in the air over my Ruger MK3 Hunter. Great shooting .22 pistol, probably my favorite overall handgun, however, my eye sight isn't what it use to be with shooting over 50 yards with open sights on a pistol.

Since the gun already came with a rail for mounting a scope, and my birthday is coming up, AND I have some Cabela's points adding up, was thinking about getting some sort of optic for it.

Only handgun I shot with a scope was a .44, usually out to 100 yards.

I realize the optic doesn't have to be "stoudt", however, sometimes you do get what you pay for. That said, I don't feel like spending "major bucks" for a decent optic for a .22 pistol.

Going with a scope, will be no more than 4x. Any suggestions on a decent handgun scope with rings that won't cost more than half of what I paid for the gun?

Second thought is a red dot sight of some sort. Trueglow (sp?) brand has my attention but I'm not familiar with them. Figure with the red dot, with little or or no magnification, I should get quicker aquisition on the target.

Long time ago, picked up a cheap BSA (sp?) red dot sight, and found out why it was so inexpensive (at least IMO).

Then I'd like to get a holster to carry the gun out back with the optic on the gun. Would like to stay away from the large uncle mikes shoulder holsters, but not sure if anyone makes a speciffic holster for the Mark series pistols mounted with a scope/red dot sight. Is the oversized shoulder holster the only way to go?

/ Scope suggestions #2  
Maybe check on rimfirecentral.com.

/ Scope suggestions #3  
I put Monarch 2x on my 22A and love it. It is not supposed to stay on it forever, my plan is to get eventually .44 Super Blackhawk to mount it on.

My only complaint is the amplified shake of my hand I can see:D

/ Scope suggestions #4  
Sig,
I wish I could help, but pistols with optics aren't my forte'. I'm not against them and have fired some nice setups, but mostly in the higher caliber you spoke of.

I'm sure any of the more economical brands would hold up fine with the virtually non-existent recoil of a .22LR. Post up some pics when you get it mounted.

Oh by the way, that's a great pistol. I bought my wife a Ruger MkIII, black finish, and not bull barreled, last year. She hits incredibly with it!!! It's her "carry" pistol, even though she only leaves it in her SUV. I would not want to be on the receiving end of it with her on the other end.

The only thing I don't care for about the model is cleaning it. Tearing it down is a PITA, at least for me.

Podunk

/ Scope suggestions
I wish I could help, but pistols with optics aren't my forte'. I'm not against them and have fired some nice setups, but mostly in the higher caliber you spoke of.

It's not my forte' either (the .44's with scopes were not mine).

The only thing I don't care for about the model is cleaning it. Tearing it down is a PITA, at least for me.

No, it's not a PITA, it's a Foxtrot PITA:p

The first time putting it back together was VERY interesting.

I would not want to be on the receiving end of it with her on the other end.

Shot placement is what it's all about.

/ Scope suggestions #6  
Sig,
The first time I broke hers down to clean it, I had to go on Youtube and watch a video, because the directions from Ruger were written by someone who had never seen a Ruger before! I had a really hard time, so yeah...Foxtrot PITA is definitely more applicable!

Podunk

/ Scope suggestions
The first time I broke hers down to clean it, I had to go on Youtube and watch a video

I'm old school, I ended calling tech support at Ruger to see why I was such an idiot.

Come to think of it, they should include an instructional video:D

/ Scope suggestions #8  
Leupold VX3. Might look at the Nikon and Zeiss offerings. Nikon and Zeiss both make killer optics for microscopes. Leica makes really good glass too.

Get the best glass can you afford. For reliability, and low light conditions, you just can not beat good glass. Same for camera's.

/ Scope suggestions #9  
I have a Tasco 2x7 on my 22 match barrel on my Contender, it is a pretty nice cheap scope. I had another Tasco on another barrel at one time and it worked pretty well. Leupold is still my favorite though. I can't use anything above 2x unless it is across sandbags with a handgun and I generally use 1.5X or a 2X to hunt with. Too much shake, on the 7X I swear I can see my pulse.:(

/ Scope suggestions #10  
Did you look into red dots at all? I remember reading few comments about replacing handgun scope with red dot for hunting in incremental light conditions with great success.
I decided to go with a scope, because it does not use batteries - just a little perk of mine. The scope will never run out of power.

Last edited: