WOW

/ WOW #31  
(Knock on wood).. we've been lucky... Our dish is serviced by a local tv shop right down the road, even though the service is via embarq bundle. We have 1yr of free support from them without even calling embarq... so far.. I'm happy.. but I got to set down and watch my MIL's directv and see what the difference is ( igf any).. just for curiosity sake..

I do know it is better than our old cable service... it went down more than uh.. yeah.. one of them their 'ladies' ;)

soundguy

Chris, we, too, had a package deal of telephone service, DLS Internet service, and Dish Network from Centurytel; two receivers, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. It was all installed on 9/19/05. Six months later (3/21/06), when the one in the living room quit working, and after I checked everything I could check myself, I got them on the phone, and we went through all the diagnostic stuff again and they concluded (and correctly) that their receiver/converter box was defective. So they shipped me a new one "under warranty", but charged me $14.95 shipping and handling. Natually, it came with written instructions for the setup, but they didn't work. On the phone again with a very nice young lady and after an hour or so she figured out how to make it work (all the settings entirely different from the written instructions they sent). Just over a year later (4/7/08) the one in the bedroom quit working. That time I got a man on the phone, who, after having me check everything I'd already checked, for nearly an hour, concluded that the problem was the remote control, which was no longer under warranty, but he'd send me a new one (I don't remember how much he said it would be). Now I don't know much about TVs and electronics, but I do know enough to know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that the problem was the converter box, not the remote control. Had they simply sent someone out here to fix their equipment when it didn't work, I'd still have Dish Network, but under the circumstances, I switched to DirecTV on 4/14/08.

Is one actually any better than the other? I don't know. I've only had a problem with it one time (closed captioning quit working even though it was turned on and had been working fine), and the young lady I got on the phone, told me how to reset it and got it working again. But I think I'm paying an extra $5 a month so that they're actually supposed to come out, at no additional charge, and fix anything we can't fix with a phone call.

/ WOW #32  
I got to set down and watch my MIL's directv and see what the difference is ( igf any)..

Chris, as far as the picture is concerned, I don't think I could tell any difference.

/ WOW #33  
every time I go over there I don't get past the front door as she has a list of things for me to do ( which i gladly do as her husband passed a couple years ago ).

one day though.. I will make it to the couch!

soundguy

/ WOW #34  
Crown Vics are nice...too bad they're gone. Great cars. My brother totaled his T-Bird.

Kyle

/ WOW #35  
WOW, this is a wickedly threaded discussion. Started with viewing TBN on a large flat screen, to DSL, Embarq, Directv and cars. :eek::D:D:D:D

Noticed something strange with Directv yesterday. :) We had 3-4 inches of wet snow fall late Sunday early Monday. I cleaned off the dish and sprayed alcohol to melt the ice on the dish. We still could not get most of the channels and the ones we were getting were popping and pixelating. Best I could tell is that the dish is pointing into a clumb of tree tops and that snow or ice blocks the signal. Leaves surprisingly do not block the signal. :rolleyes:

Since we are also talking cars, :D, I keep alcohol in spray bottle in the back of the truck. I use it to deice the windows. Alot cheaper than a spray can of alcohol and works just as well. :D This is what I sprayed on the dish to melt the ice. We just get the cheapest alcohol at Wallymart or Target.:)

Now where is this thread going to go? :D

Later,
Dan

/ WOW #36  
Dan, I think the only time I ever used any spray on deicer was when I drove a school bus in 1960-61 and the old 1952 International school bus didn't have much of a heater, much less defroster.:D I do still have a scraper in the glove box of each vehicle, but can't remember the last time I used one.:D

/ WOW #37  
Two things I wanted in the new tv was 1080 resolution and computer in.

/ WOW #38  
Water blocks the signal pretty good.. think of the hi freq they are working with... remember kinda how microwaves work .. vibrating the heck out of water molecules with hi-freq RF to make heat.. etc..

soundguy

/ WOW
I think these unrelated post have the potential for the perfect country song... I was setting in my doublewide trailer in the pouring rain while waiting of my school bus that had no heat, dang recepion on color TV was no good...

mark

/ WOW #40  
I've had Dish Network for more than 10 years, and several years ago added the equipment protection coverage. When the old 4000 receiver I had in the RV gave out a couple of years ago, they sent me a new 4900 to replace it; I just had to send the old one back to them. When I retired last year and moved from the RV to my daughter's house, I bought a new 32" HD and replaced her cable with Dish. I got an HD DVR for my TV and a two TV DVR for her older set in the LR and smaller one in her BR. The remote for her BR and the one for my BR are both UHF, different frequencies. The one for her BR I had to replace twice, at no cost, because the original and the first replacement failed. I keep Dish because I get some stations that Direct does not carry, and because her customer service from the local cable provider was dismal. Anyway, between the furniture and electronics I bought last year I felt like I was stimulating the economy all by myself - just didn't have any stimulus payment to help out with that.