Not a good start to the weekend..

/ Not a good start to the weekend.. #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
Been up since 4:30am (EDT)... /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Somehow, our older cat has gotten it's back broken. We think that it got into a cat fight on our front porch, fell, and ended up on the bottom of the pile.

The wifes upset, the oldest daughters upset, and the dog is upset too!!

Not one of my favorite animals, but I hate to see this stuff happen to any animal. Now, we have to see what the rest of the day brings. A trip to the vet, and.... ?????

Terry

/ Not a good start to the weekend.. #2  
Thats is a sour way to start a day. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and I hope eveything turns out okay for the cat.

Just pace yourself and things should get better.

/ Not a good start to the weekend..
Hey guys - thanks for the kind words.

I think everyone is prepared for the worst. She's 11 years old and has been in reasonably good health. Every year, the 4-H Cat Club visits one of the Retirement/Care centers with the cats to provide comfort and something a little different in the residents lives. Coco is one the favorites there because she was hauled around in a wagon and was gentle with the older people.

Our other cat finally showed up at the house and was let in. He went over to the basket with Coco and sniffed around just like the dog.

It has been interesting to watch our dog and other cat with the injured animal. They know something is wrong with Coco. Tip, our dog, was very upset because he heard all of the commotion when Coco was injured. He wanted to be out there!! When we brought Coco inside, his ears were back and he was sniffing around her. Kinda touching in a sense. And with all of the attention going to the cat, he was excited and did a couple of howls. This is usually when he wants your attention.

Oh well... let's see what the rest of the day brings....

Terry

/ Not a good start to the weekend.. #4  
Yea know how you feel Terry. My wife's dog got hit by a car yesterday and we had to put it down. Idiots never even slowed down.

CBD, thank you and sorry to hear about your dog. I hate it when people do not bother to stop. Rat-fatherless (keep the proper word out of this) jerks!!! /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Well... this chapter has finally ended. I got a call a little bit ago from my oldest daughter - Coco's spinal cord is snapped and she is going to be euthanized. Everyone was prepared, but it still saddens you./w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

I just finished digging a grave for her next to her brother - man I miss that good ol' boy. He was a good cat and fun to have around. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Life's lessons are hard!! I would rather have had the cat go to sleep and not wake from old age. But, how often does that really happen....

L8r......

Terry

/ Not a good start to the weekend.. #6  
<font color=blue>Somehow, our older cat has gotten it's back broken. We think that it got into a cat fight on our front porch, fell, and ended up on the bottom of the pile.</font color=blue>

Sorry to hear about your cat. I have 7 cats (mostly strays we picked up) and would be upset to loose any of them. You might want to keep a look out for a larger animal being responsible for your cats spinal injury. I have seen cats fall from very high places, one from a street light, without serious injurys. It could be that some other animal got hold of your cat and broke its back.

/ Not a good start to the weekend.. #7  
Sorry Terry! We sure grow to love these little critters, don't we? My condolences to you and your family...

Bob

Ed,

I think that you may right!! /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

One of cat's rear legs was broken and there was a bite wound indicating a larger animal got to her.

We have a neighbor that has a chow and I've seen him catch and kill rabbits. He also killed another neighbors cat. So, we may have a suspect. However, whatever did do the damage was long gone by the time we got outside. The only indication was that our dog was carrying on while the incident occured.

If our cat got onto someone else's property and got killed. I couldn't argue the point. However, if someones animal comes on my property, that's a different story. The damage is done and we didn't catch the dog in the act so it is hard to say that he did it. But, my wife said the next time she sees the neighbors out, she will make a point to talk to them about the problem.

Terry

/ Not a good start to the weekend.. #9  
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. We have 3 cats and 3 dogs and we are just devasted when we lose one. It's a hard thing to bear. My heart goes out to you and your family.

/ Not a good start to the weekend.. #10  
Sorry to hear about your cat Terry, it sure is tough on the kids losing pets./w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif