Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole

/ Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole #1  

carpenter383

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
I fired up my torch today and when I turned the oxygen tank on it blew oxygen out of the small hole on the regulator body. Scared the crap out of me! Thankfully I was not holding the burning torch in range of it! I wanted to see if any of you guys ever had this happen? I'm guessing it must have blown a seal or something. And I'm gonna have to buy a new regulator. I don't use the torch very often, could that be a factor? Also I noticed the tank pressure guage shows empty but it obviously still has alot of pressure in the tank.

/ Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole #2  
Sounds like the diaphragm is bad. If it is a name brand regulator you should be able to buy a repair kit for it for a fraction of what a new regulator would cost. They are really easy to repair.

/ Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole #3  
Just a guess, but Id say you likely blew a seal in the regulator. Maybe from age? Luckly most quality regulators are rebuildable. Try taking it to a local welders supply and see what they say.

/ Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole
Thanks I'll look into the rebuild kits

/ Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole #5  
Yeah,they do wear out and break. Wonder if your turning the pressure adjuster off before putting away,your supposed to back off the adjuster. When you turn tank valve,adjuster is supposed to be off,after you turn tank valve all the way open you than slowly turn pressure adjuster to pressure you want at torch.

/ Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole
no i don't usually back the adjuster off, I should start. It seems strange that the tank pressure shows zero and it still blows air

/ Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole #7  
I had mine rebuilt about 3 yrs ago. For a little more $ I could have bought a new 1

/ Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole #8  
Thats probably what caused your trouble,[maybe].

/ Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole #9  
I had both sides repaired, its was like $30 a piece. and they came back all shiny..(Local welding shop sent them in for me)..ymmv