Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Default Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole

I fired up my torch today and when I turned the oxygen tank on it blew oxygen out of the small hole on the regulator body. Scared the crap out of me! Thankfully I was not holding the burning torch in range of it! I wanted to see if any of you guys ever had this happen? I'm guessing it must have blown a seal or something. And I'm gonna have to buy a new regulator. I don't use the torch very often, could that be a factor? Also I noticed the tank pressure guage shows empty but it obviously still has alot of pressure in the tank.
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Tractor
    BX2350

Default Re: Oxygen tank regulator valve is blowing out the small hole

Sounds like the diaphragm is bad. If it is a name brand regulator you should be able to buy a repair kit for it for a fraction of what a new regulator would cost. They are really easy to repair.
    BX2350

FEL, RCK54 MMM, 4' Farm Star BB, 5' Farm Star RB, 5' Rake

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Just a guess, but Id say you likely blew a seal in the regulator. Maybe from age? Luckly most quality regulators are rebuildable. Try taking it to a local welders supply and see what they say.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Thanks I'll look into the rebuild kits
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Platinum Member

Yeah,they do wear out and break. Wonder if your turning the pressure adjuster off before putting away,your supposed to back off the adjuster. When you turn tank valve,adjuster is supposed to be off,after you turn tank valve all the way open you than slowly turn pressure adjuster to pressure you want at torch.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

no i don't usually back the adjuster off, I should start. It seems strange that the tank pressure shows zero and it still blows air

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

I had mine rebuilt about 3 yrs ago. For a little more $ I could have bought a new 1

Platinum Member

Thats probably what caused your trouble,[maybe].

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

I had both sides repaired, its was like $30 a piece. and they came back all shiny..(Local welding shop sent them in for me)..ymmv