Help with a sticky situation

/ Help with a sticky situation #1  

WantedWolf

Gold Member
Tractor
ditch witch 6510
How do you remove sticker adhesive without damaging paint.

The stickers were about 8"high X 2.5ft long, and they were put on when the paint was very fresh.
The stickers are off but most of the glue remains and if I dont get it off im afraid they will be covered in dust and almost impossible to clean.

Any tried tested and true tips from the TBN folks would be much appreciated

/ Help with a sticky situation #2  
WD-40 sometimes removes adhesive. There are other chemicals available too, like "Goof-Off" for instance, but all should be tested in an inconspicuous place for paint removal.

If all that fails, 3M makes a disc of rubber-like material that's used for removing tape stripes & adhesive from automotive finishes. These would be found in paint supply houses geared to the auto repair business (I found one in the local NAPA). Be aware that these are NOT cheap! I paid just over $35 US for mine about 18 months ago.

/ Help with a sticky situation #3  
   / Help with a sticky situation #5  
How do you remove sticker adhesive without damaging paint.

I used brake parts cleaner and elbow grease to pull the stickers for our hotel from 3 full size vans when we sold them last year, I pulled the stickers with a blow dryer and a plastic putty knife (or a razor bladed scraper on the windows), then I removed the goop with brake parts cleaner, a scrubbrush and a rag. Check first to make certain it wont leave funny marks on the paint, but for me it just turned the sticker goop into slime.

Aaron Z

/ Help with a sticky situation #6  
Since it was not stated I am assuming that we are talking about a vehicle and not something like latex paint.

Sign Shops that do vehicle graphics use a product called Rapid Remover. Here is a list of Distributors in Alberta.

/ Help with a sticky situation #8  
For me WD40 is my first line of attack.

I once got a super deal on a chevy van (3 yr old and 20,000KMS) because it was professionally lettered on all surfaces as I was convinced that I needed a total paint job.

Later a body shop friend suggested JiffyFoam oven cleaner!
Gosh darn, stripped all the sign painter's handiwork TOTALLY with a mere 3 spray cans of that stuff!
Mind you even 4 yrs later at certain angles the sunlight would still show some shadowing but then the van was maroon and the 'un lettered areas' faded a bit more than the painted ones.

Moral is, JiffyFoam strips without attacking quality autobody paints.

(Test it first in an area that is not visible)

/ Help with a sticky situation #9  
Here's another vote for Goo Gone. Goof Off is ok, but it's not safe for plastics like Goo Gone is. Spread it on and wait until it turns the adhesive into a sticky snot-like consistency and wipe it off.

Test in a safe area first.

/ Help with a sticky situation
Thanks guys I will start with WD40 tommorow just cause I have lots kicking around.

Shh I used a torch to get as far as I did.;)