Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

Default Sony computers

I've been out of the loop for a while I guess. I decided I need to upgrade to a new computer this year. I was at Best Buy and Circuit City and they both had Sony computers that seemed like a pretty good deal. When did Sony become competitive in the computer business? I didn't even realize Sony made computers! Are they good quality?

Tractor
    Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL

Default Re: Sony computers

From what I have seen they make a pretty good machine at least in the retail space. They haven't made thier way into the commercial market yet. My neighbor bought a Sony tower unit from Best Buy this past Christmas and so far so good. I've helped them with it and it seems to perform pretty well. You might remember a lot of commercials on TV about a guy using a Sony Vaio laptop on an airplane and everyone wants to see it so it gets passed around. They ran those ads heavily. I don't remember seeing too many for the desktops though.

Tractor
    my 18 horse Sears doesn't even count as a tractor

Danny
    I bought me one with my income tax return. For the money it was a good deal, you can get cheaper machines out there but for all that was included it worth the money. I bought the 1.6 GigHz machine with the 80 gig hard drive and the son loves the CD burner for his music collection.
    Since I have a Sony digital camera, the Smart Card was icing on the cake. I do not need the USB cable anymore and the computer treats the Smart Card just like another storage device.
    I am running Windows XP and have had no major troubles, now if I can just justify the DSL connection I will be set[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Randy

Finally something that I know about. I have been always asking the questions here and now I can really put my two cents worth in. Don't buy it!!!!!!! Sony is not good on their support you only get 90 days of tech support then you are on your own. I know I have an older machine but it came with windows ME installed on it. It kept locking up and I said the heck with this and loaded up Windows 2000 Pro. Low and behold no drivers for the machine. I feel sure this problem is gone now but what others are they not fixing (this was a real biggie in the computing world). Now as far as buying from Best Buy don't!!!!!! You are losing money. If you are not in a real hurry I would recommend that you get and American Express Optmia credit card. I don't normally recommend or get excited about credit cards but this is one that you can't afford to be without. WHY you ask? Because you can price match off the internet. Thats almost a done deal of saving $250.00 off the price. If you want more information or have specific questions please email me at maker@soon.com I will be more than happy to share my information on how to save a few bucks. Now where to buy in my humble opinion. If you are not computer literate I would recommend going to Gateway or Dell. You can get a 3yr warrenty with complete tech support for about $100.00 this is a real bargain when the darn thing crashes and it will. OK I goofed already, go to www.fatwallet.com then go to the forums then go to hot deals or something like that. If your really into saving money these boys have it figured out. If your not into rebates or sometimes holding the companies toes to the fire this is not for you. To give you an idea I bought a Nikon Coolpix 995 last December for a meer $234.00. I know there are better now but this was 6 months ago and I still defy you to find one cheaper anywhere!!!! Oh I might also add that mine IS NOT a grey market camera. Full US Warrenty.
    This site again will save you on Dell, Gateway, or most any other brand if you watch it on a regular basis. OK one more 80 GB HD Western Digital total cost shipping included $37.00. Got your interest yet? One other thing when you watch this site, don't waffle. If you are looking for something specific know what is an excellent deal and jump on it. Many times the deals only last a few hours or on the outside a day.

Again if you have any other specific questions please feel free to email me.

Tractor
    Exmark Turf Ranger - TR22KC604

Sony's have been available for several years. I'm a Sony fan, but I probably would pass on the VAIOs. A bit overpriced for the performance. I have a friend you swears by his, and would buy another one.

In my opinion, you can get a better bang for the buck with a DELL and the DELL service is very good.

Personally, I lean towards building or partially building my own systems but recommend my relatives and friends purchase DELL machines. So far, the folks I know have been real happy with the DELL service they've received.