Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Elite Member

Default Tap a hole in plastic barrel?

I have a couple of 55 gallon plastic barrels with two threaded bung holes each in the top.

I'd like to have a hose bib on the bottom of each to draw out water, but I need to have a 1/2" threaded hole in the side, near the bottom. I do have a 1/2" pipe tap. I can't reach inside to thread on anything on the inside because the two bungs holes are only 3" or so in diameter - it would be like assembling a ship in a bottle.

Any tricks on how to do this? Obviously I can just drill a hole and run in the tap, but I wondering if some trick is involved to get a clean thread that will seal and be relatively strong. Maybe use heat?

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

Default Re: Tap a hole in plastic barrel?

I just drilled a hole and screwed a faucet into the hole, nothing on the inside holding it. they have held up for years so far.
    L3940HSTC, QA FEL, BH92
    L5030HST,QA,FEL
    MF 205-4
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS (the other orange)
    KK Finish Mower, KK Tiller, 6' rotary mower, Pallet forks, PHD, Blade, Carryall, cultivator, 2 wheel barrows, assorted gardening tools,
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/r...life-farm.html

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Two things come to my mind.
    1) Drill and tap the hole and use a thread sealant on the bib you screw into the threads.
    2) Drill and tap the hole and if using a metal hose bib heat it with a torch and thread it in while hot. The heat should slightly melt the threads you tapped to the bib.
    3) If you use a plastic bib you may be limited to option 1.
    I used method 2 with good results (no leaks) many years ago for a rain water collection barrel for watering a flower bed garden. Heated a brass spigot and threaded it into the plastic drum then attached a garden hose to it.
    Maybe someone else has a better idea.
    Let us know what works.

Tractor
    Kubota

turn the barrel upside down...now the hole you need is at the bottom

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by GBeck View Post
    turn the barrel upside down...now the hole you need is at the bottom
    So how do you fill it from the bottom.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    JD 4410

Drill a 1 inch hole in your barrel with a hole saw. Get a spigot with 3/4" NPT male thread. The larger the flange at back of the spigot, the better. Wrap the threads with teflon tape. Thread into the hole. When you're close shoot some silicone between the barrel and the spigot flange. Snug it up tight, without going gorilla on it.

This is the procedure outlined by a set of plans for rain barrel construction that I got from the city of Springfield last year. The one thing that I added to it is that I used a 1.5 to 1 inch electrical box bushing (look by the service panels and conduit) between the spigot and the barrel.

It's held up to over a year of blistering heat and sub-zero cold and hasn't leaked a drop.

If a rain barrel is what you're working on, here's a link to the PDF, which is very good.

http://www.jrbp.missouristate.edu/Ra...structions.pdf
    4410 ePR, 3rd SCV, Skid Plates, TuffTop Canopy
    430 FEL, 48 BH, MX-5, Bush Hog Chipper, and more.

455, 60" deck, MC-519, 3pt hitch

Veteran Member

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

Quote Originally Posted by LBrown59 View Post
    So how do you fill it from the bottom.
    You fill it first, then turn it over, silly.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Quote Originally Posted by Travelover View Post
    I have a couple of 55 gallon plastic barrels with two threaded bung holes each in the top.

I'd like to have a hose bib on the bottom of each to draw out water, but I need to have a 1/2" threaded hole in the side, near the bottom. I do have a 1/2" pipe tap. I can't reach inside to thread on anything on the inside because the two bungs holes are only 3" or so in diameter - it would be like assembling a ship in a bottle.

Any tricks on how to do this? Obviously I can just drill a hole and run in the tap, but I wondering if some trick is involved to get a clean thread that will seal and be relatively strong. Maybe use heat?
    You might do a test on the barrel with PVC glue and see if it will bond. If it does, drill your hole and set the fitting in the hole with PVC cement. Another trick would be to put a threaded fitting on a length of PVC and put it inside the barrel, coming through the barrel, and put a fitting on the new fitting to secure it and then unscrew the pipe that you used to insert the fitting. Piece of cake, if you know what I mean.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Are we to assume that the drain will be by gravity?

Is there any reason the barrel must stand up rite. It could lay on it's side with the two bungs orientated on the vertical axis.

You could also use a barrel tipper.

As mentioned the barrel could stand upside down. Piping for filling and draining should be no problem. You would only need to use the one bung to work with although you may have air pressure equalization issues on an ongoing temporary temporary basis.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast