Load carrying capacity for these Aluminum I-Beams

/ Load carrying capacity for these Aluminum I-Beams #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
I am interested in the type of load/deflection these Aluminum I-Beams would be able to handle, based on the 24 foot length. I am thinking about using them for a dock ramp, so it would be just a couple people walking, no machinery-size loads.

They are described as:

"Brand new aluminum I-Beam. 24' lengths. Dimensions are 3" x 4" w/ 1/4" flange."

Attachments

• Aluminum I-Beam.jpg
    Aluminum I-Beam.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 524
   / Load carrying capacity for these Aluminum I-Beams #2  
They may have stampings on each beam from which you could find the information you require. :D

/ Load carrying capacity for these Aluminum I-Beams #3  
They look beautiful!
I wouldn't want to guess but For non critical application they should handle that load, though people walking over water could get critical :eek:

I have 24 ft staging planks that are only like 1x4 and very light gauge, with one supported on the ends, 2 people can stand in the middle and they will deflect an inch or 2. but those beams in your pic are much heavier, if you could tie them together like a ladder is constructed, weld pcs of the same beam between the 2 runners I doubt you'd get any deflection.

You could have a nice fairly lightweight walkway.

JB.

/ Load carrying capacity for these Aluminum I-Beams
Thanks, I didn't move fast enough and all the 24 footers were bought by one guy...