Any DSL gurus out there???

/ Any DSL gurus out there??? #21  
Yes Sir, they do have a limit of 5 gigs per month and I don't have a clue as to how pricey that is... I cannot say for certain but I believe all companies have that limit.... Da warden and I never download movies, etc so we've not been concerned with the limit... Okidokers?

I have AT&T. They have what they call a soft limit. That means if you go over they scold you but don't charge you. Cost me 60 a month. I don't know how much I'm allowed. I'v never been scolded.

Cheers...Coffeeman

/ Any DSL gurus out there???
Update - I found local technician to talk to and he thought it was either line problems or modem is bad/going bad.. BUT he cant start a work order for me, I have to call the 800 number.. BUT I have been told (wink wink) that if you unplug the phone line from the modem, the 800 number cant test the line/modem and will be forced to send out a person to check everything out. No playing 20 questions with the uninformed phone operator reading from a script..

Brian

/ Any DSL gurus out there??? #23  
Most DSL modems have an easy way to find a rating for Signal to noise ratio (often called Margin). This tells you how much noise is in the line (db) and how much signal you're getting (db) - if the difference isn't around 7 or above, you'll have a very flaky connection. Line attenuation and transmit power numbers are also very helpful.

To get the information from your modem, you'll genearlly browse to it through your web browser - type in a generic password (admin/admin or something like that), and find a page called Transceiver statistics or line stastics. Without knowing what model of DSL modem you have, it is VERY hard to give you exact instructions. Once you get the page, refer to this page Modem Line Statistic Numbers. Verizon Online DSL FAQ - dslreports.com for information on what you are looking at.

+1 on the above.

as a refrance point I had trouble with the hardline i ran to the trailer after diging it up with the dittching attachment on the tractor.

I had horrible static on the hard line to the point that you couldnt hear the other party and could barely make out a dial tone. And my DSL connection was still solid.